Mk2 20v - MOT'd & On the Road!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Classy6, Feb 2, 2009.

1. daveslp Forum Member

Ok, I have mine mounted nicely now, happy with it. Scrap what I said about mounting the shifter box further back!!the cables are short enough and they wouldn't bolt to the box. so i came in to see where you mounted it:p yours should be ok though.

I tried that diesel mount and then i had alot of trouble with the PAS pump hitting off the front subframe. are you not running pas? The mount i had, which is the part number on this thread, was only 7mm longer infact than an 8v bracket. measure and compare yours to the 8v mount. measure from a hole on engine side to a hole on the mount side and see the diff.

I figured that the engine needed to shove over to pas side away from the master cylinder. the drivers rear vibra mount has a circular pad thats bolted with one bolt to the mount. that bolt is off-centre on the circular pad....so I rotated it over towards the pas side and drilled 3 new holes for the rear bracket. comprende? I should get pics up!
    I slotted the gearbox bracket a bit more, maybe 5mm.
    Then my front bracket looked very similar to yours in its bad position. Easy- cut off the flat round bit that sits on the mount and weld it in the right place! weld in another nut so you can put an extra bolt in it from the bell housing.
    mount the pas pump if you have one before you do any messing with the mounts.

2. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Hi i have had the same issue

- PAS i had to grind about 10mm off the panel , and repainted it
    - The rear mount i used vibratechnics i took apart and rotated it 180 degress
    then the engine mount lined up perfect and the master cyclinder cleared the cam belt and i could put the cover on

Prior to that there was about 3mm between the master cyclinder and the engine ,and loads of room at the front

I can post pics of mine before and after if need be ,also what front mount is that ? there are several different ones on the market and they are not all the same height , which will impact the PAS pump clearance

Cheers

3. daveslp Forum Member

Duff- had you any problems with the drivers side drive shaft hitting the vibra rear mount?
    I have this issue now.its the mount is turned with the fat bulge turned out. so if I rotate the mount etc, it'll clear the drive but them my mounts won't line up.
    ...stupid cars.

Classy- get your servo in aswell. with so many options of mounts, you can ge around everything. Like duff said, my standard front mount sunk an inch when i dropped the engine in but the vibra only sunk 5mm. that will all affect your pas pump

4. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

5. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

Hi Classy. Not sure exactly which parts you are using which are causing these problems but i can list/ find the part codes for what I have used if this is of any help.

Off the top of my head i used,
    the passat rear mount bracket 357 199 354
    the original mk2 8v rear engine mount (same as you appear to be using)
    the mk2 8v gearbox mount
    the mount bracket for the gearbox which came on a cda from a mk3 16v (will find the part code for you)
    the front mount bracket from a b3 passat with an 02a box (again will find the code for you)
    and a T-mount alloy solid mount.

All of this fitted straight into my car with no issues atall with clearance. As others have said, get the servo and master cylinder in there now as there is no way they will fit in after the engine. I used the short stubby master cylinder from an ibiza cupra which i was lucky to get hold of. But as you say the cylinder from a focus appears to be identical. Be careful here as there are 2 outlet and 4 outlet versions, you require the 2 outlet. If you decide to go this way i can find the part code for the VAG resevoir if you like.

As far as i can tell the obvious thing wrong with your setup at the moment is the mk2 front mount bracket. The other thing to check is that you have put the rear engine mount back together correctly, i initially put mine together backwards but fortunately noticed before putting the engine in.

6. Classy6 Forum Member

I had a quick play with the cables... but I've lost all the C clips to hold the cables in so wasn't really that successful! Another pointless trip to VW!

What's defying my logic at the moment is that the amount of people that have got their engines to fit straight in without modification. If I can help it, i'd much rather get the correct mounts/brackets & have it slide in without having to get the welder out. I only test fitted this bloody thing so I could run the wiring properly! :lol:

It's the pulley that's in the way IIRC... Did you take a chunk out of the subframe to accommodate it? Any/as much infos & pictures helpful mate thanks. I'm not sure what I can do about rotating standard mounts? As far as I aware it only went on one way...?

Like I said, I only wanted to test fit the engine so I could play about with routing the wiring finally. I think I'm going to have to fit everything back up now to make sure this is spot on though!

Your setup sounds similar to mine... I have the rear engine bracket from the diesel passat & standard 8v mount. I've tried a standard 8v front mount & an ABF 02A front mount neither make any difference to position however I have noticed the 8v mount *just* about fits but actually sits on the starter housing - leaving no clearance between that & the mount itself. Not sure if I'm comfortable using it like that, may have to give it a file if it's needed. The 02A bracket fits perfectly - as it should, however neither make any physical difference to the actual alignment... miles out both of them. Also... I've been told apparently your can't use an 02A bracket as it won't mate up to the mk2 mount/subframe?!

I've got an uprated g60 mk2 gearbox mount, however all the gearbox brackets I can only assume are from a diesel mk3- box code is CTN. Whether this is different to that of what I need... a G60 corrado setup for instance I'm not sure. I need to get the part numbers off the mounts on the gearbox at the moment & then find out what engine a CTN gearbox would of have been typically been fitted to. Any ideas?

I'm convinced that solid mount is for a Mk2 VR6 conversion as I remember seeing them listed on ebay a while back... I'm sure they are made shorter to also to accommodate the vr6 sitting higher in the bay as well...? So I definitely need to sort out a new front mount, with a bit of luck it will allow the engine to line up vertically & give the PAS pump pulley adequate clearance, I just need to sort out why it's so horizontally adrift then [:s]

How can you get the rear engine bracket wrong as well?

Any part numbers would be great... & if anyone has any relevant mounts floating about they want to part with I'd be happy to take them off your hands. Hopefully getting a full set of G60 corrado mounts/brackets soon but people breaking cars seem to drag there feet!

Cheers!

7. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

Hi classy. just been out to look at mine and im fairly sure i can see what your problem is. The rear engine mount can be put back together in 2 ways. If you look in your picture here where you have the whole mount attached to the rear engine mount bracket i can see the problem.

[​IMG]

The lower half of the mount (which bolts to the subframe) attaches to the upper half (with the rubber in it) via a large bolt through the centre. you have this bottom half on 180 degrees out. So that in the picture i can see the threaded end of that bolt pointing to the gearbox side of the engine. I should see the head of the bolt on this side. I believe if you switch this around it will cause the engine to sit over in the way you want.

As far as the front mount bracket then yes you definitely want to use the 02a one from a mk3 or a passat. I cant get the part code off this unfortunately as it is obscured by lots of other stuff. But mine definitely came from a b4 passat diesel. The only problem with the bracket is one part sticks up towards the water hoses to the oil cooler, this previously held the metal water pipe in place on the old 827 style block but you need to remove this when using it with an 06a block such as a 1.8t.

for the gearbox rear bracket the part number of the one on mine is 357 199 353 A.

For the front mount as far as i can tell any standard mount should fit, be it a solid one, vibratech, solid rubber, or hydraulic. I have used a solid alloy mount intended for a standard 8v.

Hope that helps.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes unfortunately rear bracket is different if you fit a cable shift box to a mk2. you cant use a mk3 golf one as these are setup for fitting mk3 engine mount, which would require swapping of the entire subframe. you need one from golf g60, any corrado or b3/4 passat 4 pot engine.

9. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

correct me if i'm wrong but i believe classy already has the passat rear bracket to suit the 02a box (part number 357 199 354). I believe the problem lies in the actual engine mount being backwards here.

The bracket i believe he is missing, or at least that is not shown in these pics is the FRONT 02a style bracket, as opposed to the mk2 one in these pictures.

Sorry if I have misunderstood rubjonny.

10. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

11. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

The issues you appeared to have duff seem to be exactly what i think is the problem classy is having here. Where you found that the rear mount needed to be swapped around 180 degrees. Comparing the pictures of Classy's mount to the way mine is in the car, it is definitely 180 degrees out.

Interesting info about the front bracket, typical vag not changing anything unless they absolutely have to.

12. rubjonny

I think its a mixture of both chap, the pics of the rear bracket I'm pretty sure show a '191' part number on, though its hard to see.

front bracket I think doesn't make so much difference, its more they wont offer up to the gearbox if you get the wrong one, but I might be wrong on that one. plus you have mk2 and mk3 style mount brackets

edit: fixed the part number list in duff's thread as well:
    Rear:
    Passat:
    357 199 354 - Low power engines 2E,1Y,SB,AAM,AAZ,ABS,ABN,EZ,ACX
    535 199 354 C - high power engines KR,9A (abs fitted as standard?)

Golfs Mk2:
    191 199 354 C - All big block models
    191 199 354 F - Syncro (prob same as normal but clearance for syncro somehow, iirc bracket back here to steady the diff or something?)
    535 199 354 C - G60
    357 199 354 F - Rallye

Corrado:
    357 199 354 - Early Corrado KR (pre-abs?)
    535 199 354 C - late corrado KR and all other engine codes

Front:
    357 199 273 - Corrado, Rallye, Passat
    191 199 273 C - All MK2 big block

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  13. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

Definitely shows a picture of a new passat 357 199 354 bracket in this picture here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/crisp19888/IMG_0105.jpg

Which is the same bracket i have used on my conversion so i don't think this is causing the problem.

It is interesting to see there are different brackets on the kr passats and later corrados, would be nice to see these side by side to measure and compare them. A possibility of being able to get even more clearance maybe.

14. rubjonny

15. Classy6 Forum Member

You sir are a legend! :clap:

Went up last night as managed to gain some motivation after reading it could be something so simple :lol: swapped that bracket round 180 degrees as suggested & it all lines up pretty much perfectly now. It needs a little wiggle about 5-6mm to line up completely but it's as good as it's going to get.

I will need a new front bracket though, as said before the 8v one is sitting on the starter housing + doesn't have the extra hole to mount it to the gearbox & the mk3 bracket (1H0 199 273 B) is just shaped wrongly for the mk2 mount.

The PAS pump is still hitting the front cross member however, I'll just have to take a small chunk out so the outlet doesn't foul it. I'm ultimately going to end up using the T mount at the moment & the clearance is definitely an issue - unless of course the front mount bracket changes again with a significant affect on height...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This picture is how much further the mount has to go before connecting, with the PAS pump in the way.

[​IMG]

Mk3 mount on.

[​IMG]

Mk2 mount.

16. turbotommy Forum Member

Don't go chopping your crossmember yet!
    I've had all your problems before mounting mine,in the end i used a mk1 Toledo crossmember and PAS lines along with a mk3/Ibiza T mount. the part that hits your C/member sits at a different angle to mine,so can it be turned? mine is under the C/M so is out the way now with it all bolted down.
    Heres a pic,not the best but you can see just enough.

[​IMG]

Bracket bolted to C/M is just for the larger radiator so ignore [:$]

17. rubjonny

another option is to swap the pas pump, iirc mk2 ones bolt right onto the 1.8t?
    oh and turbotommy, does the metal pas pipe bolt onto the engine mount part of the subframe, or the other half? I have fitted Corrado PAS reservoir on mine and the front pipe is too short so I need to change it. I've been looking at the metal pas pipes and since i wanted to change the crossmember anyway I'm wondering if this is the way forward

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  18. turbotommy Forum Member

Jonny,the metal pipes are bolted/welded to the top half,or radiator mount if you like,not the solid crossmember.Toledo reservoir mounts in the same place as a corrado one so a toledo pipe should cure your problem.
    Another way could be to use a straight metal pipe from a mk2/3 ibiza,they bolt to the lower half but you'd need a longer pipe to the reservoir.
    I have LOADS of these parts spare,so if you need anything just PM me :-)

19. Classy6 Forum Member

I haven't tried mounting it any differently at the moment there maybe a possibility if I fit the engine I can fit the pump from underneath, I can still see that outlet getting in the way though. I've had enough of sourcing parts as well, its the bane of my life at the moment & the reason progress is so slow... If I can take a chunk out without jeopardising anything that's probably what will happen...
    Also that isn't a mk2 pas pump is it?

Good info though & I'll keep my eye open!

That is a mk2 pump with the 20v pulley fitted. The 20v PAS pump uses a banjo connections - probably be more suitable thinking about it [xx(]

I'll be in touch... Do you have a list?

20. turbotommy Forum Member

I'm using the original 20v PAS pump with toledo PAS pipes (just bolt on & perfect fit) my rack is mk3 ibiza cupra and it joins perfectly to the mk2 column with a toledo U/J to match them up.
    I have about 5 pairs of toledo PAS lines and 2 pairs of mk2 ibiza abf pas pipes,an already cut mk2 crossmember if yours is in VGC (5 to you) lots of toledo stuff like that cluttering up my workshop lol.
    The difference between yours and mine is the rear engine mount and the front bracket.
    I used a g60 or 16v style rear mount (on the left in the pic)

[​IMG]

Along with the TDI passat rear engine bracket

I used the toledo crossmember because of the flat mounting of the mk3 Seat ibiza/golf front engine bracket (and it being 13mm out of line,simlar to yours)
    It all fell into place and bolted up like they were made for each other.
    I have tried a mk3 subframe and 3 different T mounts along with 2 different rear brackets + mounts before getting to my setup.
    Wore me down a bit,but you will get there.
    Any PAS pipes etc..you need or advice on them,just shout :-)