Mk2 20v - MOT'd & On the Road!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Classy6, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Classy6 Forum Member

Small update today. Didn't take a lot pictures as there wasn't really a lot to take pictures of really.

Spent from 1-5 stripping the engine down some more. I've being going super snail pace as I've been compiling a list of parts needed as I've found them and also getting part numbers off ETKA at the same time. Save me a bit of hassle in the future/and or waiting hours for a parts guy to do it.

Basically stripped the rear, sides and top of the 20v today. All the exhaust related components are off. Turbo inlet pipes, vacuum and coolant hoses off also, along with coil packs, vacuum reservoir, change over solenoid etc etc.
    I wanted to have a peek at the condition the cams, followers, general condition of the head were in as I found a few other things whilst stripping I think the seller FAILED TO MENTION!! :angry: :angry: :angry: Needless to say, internals look good. Also removed the spark plugs and turned it over. No bent rods at least, pistons/timing is how it's supposed to be!!! :) B)

One of those things being a welded oil sump - which is bad enough, but this was also around the sump plug so I had to chisel a bit of the excess weld away so I could actually remove the sump plug!? The oil return pipe from the turbo has also been siliconed to death :blink: along with what I think is an turbo gas temperature/pressure sensor (or something like that) line goes into an electrical black box (yet to figure out what exactly it is) which has melted away due to touching something...?
    I'm still really irritated about the turbo impeller play as well... However now that it's off I'm going to take it into work and see what a few other people think and maybe hope the bearing has loads of play due to lack of oil pressure, or something dreamy along those lines hahaha...

So few pictures anyway...

[​IMG]
    Welded sump & loadzz silicone.

[​IMG]
    Bare Bum...

[​IMG]
    Top Half

[​IMG]
    Box of taken off bits... getting bigger.

Tomorrow going to continue stripping, listing and checking out part numbers at snails pace :)

Anyone got any good products to recommend for cleaning a really dirty bay??

B)

2. benthejettaman Forum Member

good prgress so far, glad uve still got your job
    have u still got your 8v motor available

3. Classy6 Forum Member

Thanks mate.

8v is still available (block + head) and most auxiliaries. (I've sold the throttle body, coolant sensors, air meter & oil cooler bracket).

If your interested in it let me know, as it will most likely be going for scrap soon as I don't have the space available to keep it.

4. cocobay63 Forum Member

nice and original example.... apart from engine, nice build, keep it going

5. Classy6 Forum Member

Ta. Unfortunately/Fortunately? Depending, car won't be staying original, just a simple OEM look. I'm more concerned about what's underneath, how the car drives and comfort.

Hopefully the end goal will be a quiet, powerful, comfortable modern classic. :thumbup:

6. Classy6 Forum Member

Sunday update :)

Continued stripping the 20v today. Removed the intake manifold, fuel rail, injectors practically everything else apart from items affecting timing and internals!
    Also did a bit of cleaning up on the gasket services and the general clean up of one side of the block.

Few pictures:

[​IMG]
    Partially Stripped.

[​IMG]
    Engine loom removed

[​IMG]
    Melted temp sensor :rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    Broken seal...

[​IMG]
    Pretty much fully stripped front and back now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cleaned the rear of the block and gasket surfaces.

[​IMG]
    Had to re-locate the bumper to make more room lol...

So during this week whilst I'm away at college I'm going to be pricing up parts that I've decided I need... really dreading the cost to be honest. Looked up a few parts on ETKA that have been mega bucks! :blink:

Does anyone know If VW can order Audi parts, as I get 30% at my VW dealership but probably at most a trade 10% discount at Audi...

7. MUSH Forum Member

i had no problem getting the audi parts from vw!

8. Classy6 Forum Member

Good!!!

Because I just priced up the parts and it's come to about 500 :lol: :lol:

Vw... Here I come.:thumbup:

9. RobC Forum Member

You didn't by any chance buy this car from the Preston area did you? It looks familiar.

10. Classy6 Forum Member

Can't remember exactly, remember it was in Shrewsbury somewhere?

11. Classy6 Forum Member

Update:

Not loads going in terms of 'progress', just small niggley stuff that needs to be done for my own piece of mind.
    Mainly still checking the engine over for any damage... Which all in all apart from a few (expensive) but minor things lol, it's all in top condition 8)

Have also been cleaning whilst I've been going along so the block/Head is looking pretty good, no need to spray it like I was going to originally as there isn't any need. Any areas that were flaking/rusting I wire brushed down to metal and sprayed black.
    Tried to get the Head off also to have a look but couldn't due to not having a T55 long enough. So that's going to have to wait as I can't be assed to take the cam's off to have a socket long enough to un-do the head bolts - so gonna buy a tool instead and do it next weekend!

Also put up YET ANOTHER BLOODY SHELF! Seriously lacking on space now, due to so much stuff coming off the engine. God help me in a few weeks when the sub frame comes off!

Going to start taking a few bits and pieces into work as well, gonna pinch the use of the parts cleaner. Starting with the sump and oil pick-up :)

Monday/Tuesday I will be going to VW to get a complete set of gaskets & parts to start building the engine back up again (almost 300's worth). Unsure whether it will be next weekend I can start building it back up as I've got about 5 foreigners I've been putting off to do lol.... Ca$h at the end of the day though :)

Few pictures:

[​IMG]
    Cams all good. Doesn't look like any problems :)

[​IMG]
    Pick-up had a bit of crud in it so going to clean that. Rods look straight enough ;)

[​IMG]
    Another shelf. Took me bloody ages to put this one up as kept hitting 'hard' spots in the f*cking concrete!!

[​IMG]
    Cleaned the front of the engine this weekend. All mint - sprayed bad spots. All gasket surfaces cleaned and smooth.

[​IMG]
    Back of the engine from last week. Covered up few places.

[​IMG]
    Side of the engine also got some treatment.

All for now until I get more parts!!

12. Classy6 Forum Member

Tiny update!

Didn't get a lot done last weekend. Saturday was seriously hungover spent the day in bed :p Sunday went to separate the head from the block & had stupidly ordered the wrong tool!! So ended up cleaning a few parts and going home.

Over the course of the week I've ordered some Audi S2 Girling dual pot calipers with new discs. Will need to be cleaned up & need to get some pads. Today I've picked up a bunch of seals/gaskets from VW. Spent a small fortune this week!

Have few foreigners on Sunday but wanna get a good start on Saturday to start rebuilding this engine 8) Head will have to come off at a later date as I couldn't afford the gasket and bolts this time round - turns out the head gasket is like 30 and bolts are 3 of which there are 10!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  13. Cian Forum Member

Great build thread. Keep the updates coming

14. Classy6 Forum Member

Nout major to report.... Waiting to be paid really before I can 'do' any more. Have to many things going at the moment and running out of space, so need to just focus getting one thing done atm lol and getting rid of the bloody 8v engine.

Other than that took the gear linkage and tower out, along with centre piece of exhaust + manifold and removed PAS lines and began re-building the engine.

Taking it slow with engine as I still need to buy more parts (headgasket, head bolts and other seals I couldn't afford first time round!) so I just fitted the parts back on that don't need paint (not a lot of parts to be honest) cleaning up or not be in the way when I separate the block & head.

Also found out the f*cking ******* water pump impeller has split in 3 f*cking places. NOT HAPPY, extra 70 quid that could of gone elsewhere!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]
    Impeller!!!!

[​IMG]
    Cleaned up some parts during the week. Also did the valve cover, oil sump, cleaned the oil pickup. Most of these parts will need to be power-coated thou as they didn't come up as well as I thought they would.

[​IMG]
    The bay now minus some extra parts. Have also started removing the wax from the paint

Just to note as well... for anyone buying an engine for a fair amount of cash, any in fact - definitely strip it if you can or get someone to strip & check it for you. I can't even imagine the amount of hassle/problems I would of had if I'd assumed it was in good working condition and dropped it straight in!

15. Classy6 Forum Member

Mega update now!

Still don't have the internet back 'officially' had to get a bundle from orange thru my mobile!

Up to this point now the engines going back together, still waiting on few more bits and pieces to be polished & powder coated.

From the start... an extra 200 in parts:
    [​IMG]
    Water pump, cam belt tensioner, idle roller, head gasket 6-50nm torque wrench and few bolts. Also bought a thermostat today...

[​IMG]
    Tool for the head... Special, very special.

[​IMG]
    Cleaned the block gasket.

[​IMG]
    Cleaned the head gasket surface. Also measured the head for any distortion, all fine considering the water pump was fooked.

[​IMG]
    Cam belt, water pump, idle pulley tensioner etc all fitted & torqued.

[​IMG]
    The new S2 Girling 60 brakes. Soon to be re-build and powder coated.

[​IMG]
    Polished Parts... Need to be re-done. Local guy did it but couldn't get into all the awkward bits so its half done and visible.

[​IMG]
    Powder coated parts.

[​IMG]
    Painted the entire oil filter housing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to wire brush off all the surfaces :blink: Cut my hands to shreds!

[​IMG]
    Re-built to see how it would look. Still needs a lot more put on, mainly just wanted to how the manifold would look and how visible the un-polished bits were.

[​IMG]
    How it stands now. ^_^

[​IMG]
    Had to hand paint this myself due to the fact the powder coating guys didn';t really do a good job of taping off gasket surfaces and surfaces that shouldn't of really been painted...

[​IMG]
    And... one of the back of the engine.

Didn't manage to get of the other parts painted/polished this week so going to start of the wiring :)

Ta.

16. Classy6 Forum Member

Nothing exciting in this update... More irritating news really.

Got a new thermostat during the week and fitted that to the engine.

Started fitting the engine loom on to the engine. Then separated the second half of the ECU loom away from the interior harness and began labelling up all the connectors so I know what to keep & what to remove. Needless to say, looks like a massively time consuming job, one at which I'm now debating doing due to the time scale. Seems like a lot more of the ECU loom connects to the interior loom than expected....

Also found that all the wiring around the coil pack connectors has become brittle from what I expect to much heat. It's cracked the insulation across all the wires and some insulation is no longer there. So going to either renew the wiring or layer on the heat shrink.

[​IMG]
    Thermostat installed.

[​IMG]
    The cracked coilpack wiring...

[​IMG]
    Remainder of the interior loom.

This week have decided I'm going to get the alternator powder coated as it just looks crap against the rest of the engine - gotta figure out to remove the rotor and the stator assemblies from the casing though. Also the throttle body needs to be polished as myself and a few chaps out my workshop have no idea how to take out the internals - hence powder coating is out the window.

Anyone with any tips, information, even wanting to do the wiring give me a PM and we can talk. Depending on the price and turn over time, it might be worth getting someone else to do it. Also need the ECU mapped & Decoded.

17. Classy6 Forum Member

So this update starts from about the 12th May all the way up to current :) Enjoy.

Well, spent the last 2 weeks on and off sorting out the wiring harness for the car.

Took me a while to get some motivation towards it as I didn't really know what to expect in terms of how much I actually needed to do to modify it. Turns out, wasn't actually to bad! Although I'm still not finished and I've got a few wires I'm slightly un sure about whether I actually need them or not....

If anyone could offer any advice, would be MUCH Appreciated!!!

So here's the picture of all the loom extracted from the interior harness, I plan to use a few less plugs by moving some pins around into empty slots in other connectors.. Basically with this I need to wire up all the necessary feeds and switches etc I'm also looking into putting in 2 Engine management lights (power & electrics) & alternator to the mk2 cluster as the wires are there.

[​IMG]

All the removed wiring... more to come
    [​IMG]

One side of the ECU loom. Needs taping.
    [​IMG]

More parts powder coated. Also had the alternator done, but that's all in pieces at work waiting for 5 minutes for me to re-build it.
    [​IMG]

Imagination pic...
    [​IMG]

Hoping to have the majority of the loom done by the week end.

Like I said above, if anyone can offer me any advice on the loom.. I have a few questions I wouldn't mind knowing as it will save me the trial and error when it comes to fitment!

Ta.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
  18. Classy6 Forum Member

Been busy modifying the looms and today managed to actually have some of my flat floorspace back! Looms weren't as bad as I thought it would be in the end, although time consuming (lack of motivation) I didn't have any major issues really! Had to add the modified coil pack harness into the loom as previously shown [somewhere in the thread] had got very brittle and cracked- expect due to excessive heat. The damage was quite severe when I actually stripped the loom back bare, the cracking had gone all the way down to the connector on the main earth wire!

Today however spent a few hours on the engine; fitted the intake manifold, rocker cover (properly) fuel rail and sorted out the loom so I can tape it all up back in it's original position.

......Also sat in the car for a probably about half an hour... wondering how far to take this whole project..? Mainly due to time-scale and more so money, there are going to have to be a few things I'm going to have to complete once the car is running, which is a bit annoying but that's life I suppose :/! Anyone else ever think that?
    Until then, main focus is going to be on the important/easier things to do now the car is off the road rather than have to keep the car off the road for long amounts of time when everything is fitted! Anyway, some pictures:

[​IMG]
    Modified coil pack wiring harness.

[​IMG]
    Manifold - with new gasket, fuel rail parts of the loom taped and positioned. All the seals on the fuel injectors were also replaced... all 8 of them!

[​IMG]
    What the end result will look like, if I decide to run a cover..?

[​IMG]
    Loom 1 - with ECU inputs

[​IMG]
    Feeds... all colour connectors for ECU. Diag port.. etc.

19. Classy6 Forum Member

Small update anyway & only one picture. Put on the vacuum reservoir, solenoid changeover valve and few other vacuum pipes etc.

Got to stage where I'm a bit stuck now to... I NEED a new turbo and I've spoke to a few companies that have said it's probably more economical to buy a new K04 than have mine re-built. So I either spend 550-600 on a new standard K04, or push the boat out and spend about 700 on a K04 hybrid which is a more expensive, and will allow me to run about 300bhp. However, that's a lot of cash for me and it'll probably be a while until I can afford it. Until then I'm going to have to fit the old parts just so I can fit all the necessary pipes and sort the wiring out. Bit hard without the sensors in position ;)

Ta.

[​IMG]

20. Classy6 Forum Member

Wasted a bit of a day really today. Forgot my laptop so I didn't have any access to ELSA for wiring diagrams to start removing the emission related stuff which was a bit of a pain. However, I put everything back together, mock fitted so manifold is fitted, turbo, throttle body, alternator and relative air pipes and most the loom is in place now ready to be taped up. Also trial fitted the Qpeng downpipe!

Painted few bits and pieces, intake manifold support and bracket for oil dipstick and engine cover!

Few pictures of my f*cked turbo as well... still ****ed off about it!

Apologize for the crap pictures as well...

[​IMG]
    So mega play on the impellor shaft, possibly worn/cracked jornals. Side to side only. Also note the hairline crack right across the wastegate vavle!

[​IMG]
    Close up of the crack across the wastegate valve.

[​IMG]
    Due to the bearing play, the impellor on the cold side has actually touched the housing, scoring it!

[​IMG]
    Further cracks....

[​IMG]
    Engine built up, pretty much complete now. Looks been messy though.

[​IMG]
    All built up at the back.... Will obv have to all come off soon though.

[​IMG]
    Finished alternator and Qpeng downpipe.