Mk2 20v - MOT'd & On the Road!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Classy6, Feb 2, 2009.

1. mk28vICED Forum Member

good job the wiring would be my downfall keep up the good work!

2. Classy6 Forum Member

Thanks mate. That's just the first part of the wiring though, still need to wire it all in :lol:

3. GTIAndy Forum Member

Dude that looks mint, looks like alot of hard work has went in to that engine.

Good luck getting it finished

Andy

4. Classy6 Forum Member

Cheers Andy.

Small update as not really much goin' on...

Taped up all engine loom after faffing for ages trying to get it all the right position. Will probably have to come back apart later on though as I want to get rid of a lot of the vacuum & emission crap. Just want it running right first though!

Spent a hour or so Thursday phoning people about a Turbo & ECU software/coding. Think I'm going to end up getting my turbo from Turbocentre UK - had a really good chat with a guy there and although slightly more expensive than a few other companies, buy the turbos direct from KKK so they are not assembled before hand, which in my eyes leaves no room for error.

Am also having the ECU immobilizer by passed & second 02 sensor coding removed - had a chat with a guy at SWICT, who was recommended to me and he is very knowledgeable bloke!

Also painted the rear engine mount bracket and encounted the first 'problem'. The Oil return pipe is in the way of the rear engine mount, had a quick dig for what others done and a lot seem to of modified the bracket by cutting chunks out of it to make it fit. Thought I'd have a look to see how much needs trimming & to be honest it's a bit more than I'm comfortable taking off, without it actually seriously weakening the bracket - especially with the case of this isn't exactly going to be a 'tame' engine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So will probably get a oil return pipe kit off ebay for about 30. It's just a braided hose with the adaptors to run it straight down. Will hopefully avoid the drive shaft issue I've read a few people have had to. May also have a look at a passat TDI bracket, although not sure how different this is & it still requires trimming...

Am also going to strip the subframe off the car for power coating & will order a set of powerflex bushes to fit when they go back on.

5. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Superb work, really inspirational - admiring your patience.

Just one thing;

Am I being thick or weren't the brakes the very worst part of the Audi S2, and upgraded to Porsche items by most 'enthusiast' owners?
    Binding issues, among others iirc.

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

cracking work in here

7. Classy6 Forum Member

:lol: No idea mate, hope not!? Only reason I got them was because I got them for a fair price and they were dual pots giving better stopping force than G60 calipers... but can use the same 280mm discs.

Still.. going to be a while before they're fitted as I don't have wheels big enough to go over them yet [:$] They will be re-built before hand as well so with some luck they turn out ok?

Thanks for the comments to guys. Will be purchasing the turbo & bushes monday :p

8. Classy6 Forum Member

9. 91_8valver Forum Member

Amazing! :)

10. Classy6 Forum Member

Had a delivery today ^_^

After spending Thursday phoning about 7 different people about turbos I decided to go with a company called Turbo Centre Uk.

HIGHLY recommended, spoke to a guy called Craig had a really good chat! He managed to reduce the price of the turbo & they are also the only people I spoke to that offer a 2 Year warranty on their turbos. It's a direct replacement part & genuine BorgWarner KKK turbo. Was also was delivered next day as well & comes with all necessary gaskets/bolts/nuts and a oil syringe. So really happy overall, great service (and I have ridiculously high standards/expectations!)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decided it won't be fitted until last minute either so will be in the box for a while.

11. Classy6 Forum Member

Also got another delivery, the oil return pipe off e bay. Looks like a decent bit of kit ^_^ although I'm poopting myself because I'm looking at it thinking 'I hope that's long enough' :lol: sure it'll be ok though!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got tomorrow off as well so going spend a large part of the day on it. I want to strip the interior (front seats, front carpet) so I can access the floor pan as I decided I AM going to extend the wiring and run it through the chassis legs.
    I hated the amount of wiring there was in the Mk2 as it made the bay look messy & poop. Think I may struggle with the amount of soundproofing there is around so will have to sift through old pictures to find the location of the grommets to access the legs (if anyone can help or give me an exact location, would be awesome ^_^

12. nealey Forum Junkie

Good thread so far, keep the updates coming

13. Switch7

Switch7 Forum Member

awesome thread. proper decent swap.

14. turbotommy Forum Member

I bought the same oil return pipe for my k04,found out that the sump fitting was 2mm too wide so had to alter it a bit,but got it to fit it the end.
    It was long enough but i would check the sump bolt spacing before fitting it properly.

15. 16valver Forum Member

Putting sound proofing back in is a bit of an odd concept to me, but great build none the less :thumbup:

Love the attention to detail, engine looks good.

16. Classy6 Forum Member

Thanks for the comments chaps :) Tommy you weren't wrong mate.

Still today was draining... Spent the day labelling the mk2 chassis loom ready to be extended, this was done via some seriously **** wiring diagrams that were not only to small to read but are about informative as a piece of turd. However they are all I know of... If anyone knows of any decent VW original ones, please tell me, my eyes actually hurt! :wacko:

[​IMG]
    This is all the wiring that's going to be extended + re-routed
    [​IMG]

Also fitted the oil drain/return pipe which needed a small amount modification in order to fit it to the sump as the bolt alignment was out. The holes are spaced to wide, so they don't fit. To sort the problem I just drilled the holes out a mm or so on each side ovulating the holes enough so that it fitted.
    Also used genuine bolts & gasket because 1. the supplied bolts are way to short & 2. the gasket is actually a couple mm smaller than the hole in the sump, over sized and made out of crap material... All in all, bit disappointed with the amount of work to get it to fit really. Had to sand down the weld over the sump plug as well because was catching :(

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then I fitted the engine mount bracket, fits lovely B) Decided to cut the bracket that holds the water feed/return (forget which it is atm) as the bracket was making the engine mount bracket uneven. It's only a pipe and is rigid enough to hold it in place with one bolt when its fitted completely.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also went to Vw and ordered a load of bits. Few electrical connectors that have broken when Stevie Wonder removed them, the T piece parts for the oil pressure switches. I need the actual switches if anyone has any spare/for sale off an 8v?! Then the small cover for the engine in front of the intake manifold, oil dipstick & tube, oil cap & cap holder cos I lost it!

If I don't go to inters tomorrow... (weather supposed to be absolutely awful, heavy rain all day) I'll the strip the front of the interior and attempt to find some holes into the chassis legs for the wiring.

17. Classy6 Forum Member

Hah... It's a daily. I drove that car around for almost 10 months with 2 seats in and a practically bear interior whilst sorting water leaks out. Needless to say I really appreciate a quiet cabin now :lol:

Ta.

18. Classy6 Forum Member

Picked up some more parts today few little things that need to be sorted.

14 pin plug (female). The one now doesn't seem to fit the plug and it's driving me insane, it's either bent pins or a dodegy connector so figured I'd try a new one.
    Alternator & air mass plug... broken connectors need to be replaced.
    Oil cap... lost it!
    Oil dipstick & tube... broken
    Front engine cover... broken
    Oil filter, got it cheap at Inters
    Banjo joint needed to allow me to use original oil sensors apparently!

Have some more bits coming tomorrow as the fooked up with parts and didn't order me a load of stuff I asked for... nothing exciting though really.

[​IMG]

19. Classy6 Forum Member

Bit of a priming update... Hoping to have something to show for myself end of this weekend. Most of my mates have gone away to Zante - Mum & Dad gone to Italy so I've absolutely no excuses to not spend a full weekend grafting :)

Since last update I have:

Fitted some spark plugs!
    All the parts above... breather pipes, dipstick and the oil pressure T piece (although need the seals!)
    I've also fixed a weird Oil leak that was leaking from a bolt hole on the Oil cooler bracket... Couldn't understand why but silicone sorted it :)

*Barely any work.... I know.

[​IMG]
    New Bits fitted

[​IMG]
    T- Piece fitted for Oil sensors.. although I need to buy them again cos I sold mine!

[​IMG]
    Built back up almost :)

Last weekend I ordered a set of Powerflex bushes (front) stripped off the subframe and everything else to go and get powder coated. MY GOD those subframe bolts were tight, 2 feet leaning against the wall - hole time ****ting my pants thinking 'any minute captive nuts gonna go' lol... was ok in the end!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also seam welded the wishbones (been learning to weld over the past 2 weekends to - really want a welder now, so expensive though!) they'll be sent off for powder coating this week along with a pair of front Stub axles I bought during the week (I've got to press the hubs/bearings out of the stub axle first).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Been looking at anti roll bars all week to, think I'm going to settle with Eibach. Cheapest I've found was 247 delivered from ebay (C&R enterprises). Anyone had any experience with them? Know cheaper? Recommend better?

Ta.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  20. PAB

PAB CGTI Regional Host

Great build thread, good info.....

C & R Enterprises are local to me, have a good local rep. Gonna see them soon for all the suspension bits I need.