No point in performance mods for old cars

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by drew, May 21, 2004.

1. MK3_GPP Forum Member

I am planning on changing my MK3 soon, and I will not be buying something newer as there is nothing that stands out to me..

And I prefer older cars,I think the MK3 is the last of the good looking Golfs .. IMO
    Now they are getting to big and starting to look like all the other cars on the road..

My plan is to spend about 8k on a mint corrado storm, that has more than enough performance and classic body lines along with future investment.

2. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Just found this thread, hadn't seen it before.

Makes good reading :thumbup:

3. g@un Forum Member

Yeah, me too. :)

4. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll get you for that B'locks you c**t [:x] [:x] [:x]

And you Dave, how old are you now? 100++??? :lol: :lol:

5. daveR Forum Member

Im 76 and a half! [:$]

6. 1990

:lol: I'm 26 now!!! I remember, when i was a lad....... :lol:

7. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

Someone get hold of Drew and tell him this thread is still going!

Also on topic, the main reason why i love my mk1 trackcar, is that i can embarass expensive, newer, fast cars around the track that really should be p****** all over my 23yr golf.

The sports car drivers generally go
    :o :o[:$] [:$][:^(] [:^(]:clap: :clap:

But they nearly all wander over inbetween sessions to have a chat, because A) they used to have one, B)everybody loves mk1 gti's and C)How come your old golf is faster than my Scooby/lotus/porker!

That said they do have a more comfortable journey home. [8(]

Edit poxy swear filter! [:x] , how do the rest of you swear on here without it changing your words
    Edited by: I V - mk1 16v

8. Red_TN Forum Member

Just spend a bloody age reading this! Bloody good!

I love my mk2, enough said!

9. was8v Forum Member

hmmm I bought mine cos I was in the market for an involving warmish hatch that i could insure TPFT.

Was gonna buy a 306 s-16, but i had a 306 previously and grew an aversion to torx bolts and diffs breaking. Looked a a mk3 8v, but decided that they weren't fast enough and dont look so good as a mk2. So I thought hey with my budget i could get a mint mk2, then mine came along well under budget, so i got a well respected drivers car for banger money. Some people see it as an old golf, but lots see it as a classic. I've spent a bit of cash in an attempt to get it in better condition.

Mates have got impreza turbos etc and in my opinion they are just soooo boring - gets from a to b very quickly, but its just not so much fun. Another mate has a mint rs2000 in the garage and when it rains he bikes to work, he's got the right idea [:D]

Btw, I'm 23, I have my own house with mortgage, 14k student debt, and couldn't justify "wasting" more than 2k on a car i'll drive 8 miles a day to work along country roads, how people spend their money is their decision.

10. Mad-scientist Forum Member

This post is way too long cant be bothered to read it all,
    Can someone tell me the short version of page 2-13 :lol: :lol:

11. krytie Forum Member

buy a mk4 or newer if you want to go fast without doing oily bits...

12. Jeff Forum Junkie

wow what a great read! for the record I am poor and cant afford to get my old golf back on the road, let alone buy a new one. :lol:

13. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

:thumbup: [:^:] :thumbup:

14. Mikedav Forum Member

Blimey.

1) Im 22. I bought my 2.8 when I was a student. Anyone can afford a 15k car if the want one TBH, I don't thinki you need 30k a year. Though it would certainly help.

2) Sutherland M ...well I think its all been said there really hasn't it. One thing that mistifies me is how anyone could claim the R to be the worlds greatest car or a symbol of business success. Its just a Golf. Especially when parked up along side one of the thousands of 911s, Gallardos and 360 Modenas it undoubtedly is in central London.

3) Blimey.

15. Jeff Forum Junkie

:clap: you know when I was working in London in the summer I lost count of the 911s, TVRs, Ferraris and Lambos I saw (all mostly brand new). I dont recall seeing an R32. Somehow I dont think its because they are rarer...

16. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Meaning...?
    Blatant R32 bashing can get tiring.
    I'm loving the car to bits despite it being so terrible.

17. Jeff Forum Junkie

1) I like R32s!

2) I've lost count of the amount of times you have replied to my posts with the words "R32 bashing" Matt.

Can you not see the contradiction in those two sentences?

I'm NOT R32 bashing. R32s are not terrible. The same way the 911s etc arent terrible (they are better cars in some ways, but thats irrelevant). R32s are actually rarer I think. Perhaps I'm wrong, my point wasnt that R32s are rubbish, or that R32s arent as exclusive as a 911.

My point was that people who are succesful enough to gloat about it usually dont, and when they do, they dont do it by driving an R32.

18. Jeff Forum Junkie

Also if the car was so perfect for you why keep being paranoid that people are bashing it? Who gives a sh1t what people here think of it if you like it?

The problem people have is not with the R32, its with having it rammed down their throats that its the best car in the world. When its not. And its not automatically "better" than every other car thats available for less money either.

19. prof Forum Addict

well what about an R32 engined 4x4 corrado where would you stand on that ;)

20. 1990

On the roof