No point in performance mods for old cars

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by drew, May 21, 2004.

1. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

That's why I stopped posting here.
    Too many having a go, me replying defensively, people saying they weren't having a go, etc ad infinitum.
    Only thing I will now resond to is when some gimp gloats over his 1000 mk2/mk1/Barryed whatever being quicker than a 24k R32 and somehow feeling morally superior.
    So what?
    As you can see it's an argument that utterly pointless with no winners.
    Except I've won because I like the R32 and you've all won because you love your mk1s,2s etc.
    Simple.
    Trouble with liking a car a lot is that you rack up stupid mileage on it - 12k so far in 8 months - Yikes!!

2. stelski007 New Member

Feet first, here we go.

Mk 2 - not the fastest, safest or best. But they've got something a newer car won't have - character.

Historically MK 2 GTi's have been revered in the press and have a cache about them. Memorable advertising certainly helps. Classless is the word i think describes them best (in the way an original Mini Cooper was classless)

Newer cars - for this example Mk IV Golfs - have had the character designed out of them by committee, safety requirements and basically VW's desire to move the motor more upmarket. Thing that gets me about the R32 is that it is in essence the same well designed car as the bog standard bottom of the range Mk IV but with added bits - admittedly top notch ones. The best thing that can be said about top of the range mainstream cars IN GENERAL is that once depreciation has been taken into account, they become fantastic used buys. Look at the prices for used 4Motions and it kindof proves the point here.

One mans meat is another mans murder but one thing is apparent from all of this cobblers - sutherland? I wouldn't trust you to run a welk stall.

3. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Welk market currently quite good...

4. stelski007 New Member

5. Nev93

Nev93 Forum Member

14 pages summed up, in (nearly) 14 words! :clap:
    Edited by: Nev93

6. Seizure Forum Member

Haven't read all of this topic, don't have that much time.....

My car is my ideal. I have driven and been in new cars, some pretty reasonable ones too. OK, they ar more comfortable, quiet and safer but it's the whole cost/depreciation thing that scares me. And the running costs on some of the bigger engined cars which is what I'd need if I wanted similar performance figures to mine.

My car looks how I want it to look - Not just another wind tunnel designed jelly mould. It has character. It has aggresive lines. People know it's a Golf. The car handles like I want it to handle - Go-Kart like. But it has been completely rebuilt using all modern car components, so reliability should be there along with perfomance and cabin comfort (when I finish it).

On the whole I don't think there is a new car I could afford that I would swap mine for. There are cars I can't afford that I'd have, but that's just life.

Oh, and my car does owe me quite a lot in monetry terms, and I could have got something quite decent for the same sort of cash (Leon Cupra R etc), but mine has uprated everything and it just looks like a MkII Golf. Makes the odd blat on the road far more fun and the "look-over-the-shoulder" as you walk away from the car far nicer as I love the shape of the MkII.

7. krytie Forum Member

:lol: I was only guessing as well!!! :lol: pretty obvious argument between the old skool and the new skool though init?
    Edited by: krytie

8. g60notter Forum Member

geek ! :lol: :lol:

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

moden stuff does go quicker for cheaper, but its more fun (just) beatings when folk on track with the mk1, plus it gets more looks. but peformance wise for out and out speed my mk4 tdi is faster top end eaily and the accel prob quicker too.

I think the tuning potentual of the newer enigines is why more and more people are putting them in older cars, I know thats why the mk1 will be having a 20vT dropped in, in 2 year when im 25 and can afford the insurance/when they let me.

10. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

is there any point in tuning a road car? they are all flawed in terms of performance due to the compromises that have to be made to make it a road car.

hence ill keep the mk3 mild and then get a caterfield one day. the one stop solution to fulfil your needs

11. Seraph Banned

Nothing much has changed in 3.5 years either!

12. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

You dug this up from April 2006?!!!

That's dedication.

13. ambrose89

ambrose89 Forum Member

so is a new 8v faster than an old 16v?

14. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

couldn't be arsed to read it all but what I did read was pretty amusing....

some people make me laugh......

15. bula_82 Forum Junkie

you missed a bit -

what made you start again?

and it werent seraph that bought it back up again :)

i havent read the whole thread so i dont really know what its about but although i was going to make the a3 into a track car, plans are changing as i think its too new.

old cars rock with a decent amount of power :)

16. bula_82 Forum Junkie

:lol: :lol: :lol:

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Mr Vealige has an R32 now :lol:

18. jimgolf Forum Member

to be honest i think if i could afford to have a new car i'd probably end up with a old school 911rs or a type 2 ford i seem to buy my cars backwards because i honestly think new cars look ugly.
    old school cars are owned purley because people love how they drive feel etc
    thats my 2p anyways but each too there own

19. nimbus dare Forum Member

old cars are looking slightly more apealling now with the new tax brackets

20. voteforpedro Forum Member

My opinion:

If I could afford an R32 or equivalent power house then I would buy it, but I can't. So I bought a car I *could* afford and spend money as and when as a treat. [:D]

I think the same applies for track cars... but who would honestly want to thrash their own Mk5 R32 around a track? I wouldn't, thanks. [:p]