Petrol prices set for record high

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by altern8, Apr 7, 2010.

1. altern8 Forum Junkie

2. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

oooh please

c.5 extra per tank. break the bank?

funnily enough, the GF was round her grand parents yesterday, they dug out news papers from the day she was born and in the FT they were moaning about petrol "soaring" to 1.40 a GALLON

3. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

You might sniff at it being only 5 more per tank, but to me and alot of other people this does make a real world difference. I am unfortunate enough to be living on a knife edge with my budget each month ( I cant remember the last time I got out of my overdraft), and I have to use my car, regularly clocking up 350 miles a week

This for me sums up the situation perfectly:

So it's not really ONLY 5 per tank and it's really nothing to be sniffed at, well maybe if you have money to burn. But for me it really f*cks up my finances

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  4. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

86p litre vs
    1.20 litre

Dennis, that daft example you gave up there has two rather extreme examples of fuel cost.

when on earth was it 86p a litre for any decent amounto of time?

now be sensible, find me the cost per litre in november 09 or december 09 and then see what the difference is.

5. Nordoff Forum Junkie

I might have to increase me weekly fuel budget to 10.50 at this rate.....

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

One reason why i'm going back to smelly diesel; the small increases don't do much in the short term for me but long term its hitting hard now so can't have a 20vt and VR6 unfortunately :(

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

tank empty - fill it up

who cares

8. faithless

faithless CGTI Regional Host

when you have HGV with long range tanks, i bet they care hehehe

then again they will be filling up in france and spain i guess

9. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

For a good portion of 2009 the petrol price hovered around the 1 per litre mark. It has drastically risen in the last 3 months or so, and again in the last few weeks. Put it like this, 2 weeks ago I filled up a tank of Shell normal unleaded @ 115.9p, I've been off work and havent refilled a tank until Bank hol Monday and the cheapest I could find in my area was 121.9.

115.9 x 50 litres = 57.95
    121.9 x 50 litres = 60.95

So in the space of 2 weeks I'm paying 3 per week more in petrol per tank on average. Over a year if it were to sit at this rate, thats 156 more I have to fork out to crap my car up on the dogsh*te roads we currently use.

That in itself is a completely unfair stealth tax.

Now if I were to go with a 2009 average of 1 per litre (bearing in mind it was as low as 86pence and is as high as 123pence now) Then 1 x 50 litres = 50.00

So realistically I am paying 11 more per tank of petrol now than last year. Over the course of 2010 that is going to cost me 572.00 extra in fuel bills. (assuming the price doesnt go up even more, which of course it will)

So excuse me if I find that sort of comment about it being only 5 a bit flippant. It may be for you, but it isnt for everyone, I struggle with these prices.

10. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

Dennis - don't take this the wrong way, but if that increase makes that much difference to your finances then I would say the real problem isn't the fuel increase its your salary vs your 'running costs'.... I remember your thread regards your job and how unhappy you were.

my monthly outgoings are less than 50% of my basic salary, which is 50% of my total OTE. Life is too short to be worrying about a fiver here or there, easier said than done for sure but I would be trying to change one of the other asap (income or outgoings)

11. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Rip I wont take offence mate, cos you are basically right - it does all come down to salary vs outgoings.

My outgoings are almost on a par with my income, so yeah it is tough.

The basic fact of the matter (and something I dont think many will argue with) is that the current price we are forced to pay for fuel is a joke.

It might only be 5 per tank for some, but there are many thousands, millions even in a similar boat to me, and it surely isnt healthy for us as a population to just accept these increases in such a blase manner.

Granted it does no good worrying about the extra cost, but just so you know it isnt just a fiver to the little men! :)

12. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I dont think fuel was as low as 86p last year - and probably hasn't been for a number of years!

I do agree that its annoying that prices seem to just be going up and up and up yet the fuel companies are making record profits in the billions year on year. Realistically the profit levels of the fuel companies and the amount of tax on a litre of petrol need to be reviewed - but realistically this is never going to happen.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if one of the major political parties committed to reduce fuel tax by 5p then they would walk the election hands down (and would win my vote)....

Coincidentally (sorry to get political) the lib dems want to invest 3billion on the national railway system and they propose to take this money from the road fund kitty....

13. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

aiii it stinks, especially as soon I may be expensing my fuel rather than a fuel card so even though I get it back it will still be out of my pocket for a period of time. Trouble is, the government arn't doing anything about it - and they actually could. so were fooooked, like it or lump it. And I hate having a defeatest attitude about stuff, but they do also say worry about the things you can control and no the things you can't ;)

14. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I notice it every week, the Audi not so long ago was sub 50 for 3/4 of a tank, then it was mid 50s and now its 60 a week for fuel...its withing my budget but its just annoying that you know every single time you fill up its an extra 50p or so and will be again next week... all the time we keep hearing how crude price has crashed and the g'ment want to jack up fuel tax again

15. G-Man Forum Junkie

Simples!

[​IMG]

16. Raider Forum Member

It's a **** take but life will go on...

To try and combat the problem I've bought one of these fandango bikes and have some lightweight Balsa wood trick bits on order:thumbup: I'll get the scales out when they come for before and after comparisons;)

[​IMG]

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the oil companies need to make a profit. theyre not a charity afteral. the govt are the bad guy here dipping into everyone's pocket when they go to fill up with petrol, and what for? what value have they added to getting the petrol to the pump?

robbing bastids

18. Adam_16v Forum Member

I don't like it and it effects us all. However, there is nothing we can do......

Don't forget everything will be more expensive, from the clothes you wear to the food you eat.[:^(]

19. Admin Guest

indeed transport costs get passed on to the end users.

I'm With Dennis10, whilst not being poor, i'm not minted either. I'm sure there are many more in the same boat.

Sort of glad that my car does over 40mpg,

20. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

we need fuel like we need food and water. We'll pay it no matter what the cost, and the oil companies know this...

it's not them who are the criminals, it's the government and their absolutely outrageous tax loading on fuel. hmm, 8.5billion bill to fix the roads, 87billion coming in from taxes, are they going to fix the roads then? no...