Petrol prices set for record high

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by altern8, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Claypole Forum Junkie

Keep spinning...

"Shell said current cost of supply (CCS) net income, which strips out unrealized gains related to rises in the value of inventories, rose 49 percent in first quarter, compared to the same period in 2009, to $4.90 billion.

Higher oil prices were the biggest driver of the gain, but cost reductions and a 6 percent rise in output helped too, and suggested that a turnaround plan Chief Executive Peter Voser launched on taking up his role last year continues to deliver benefits."

"BP has smashed City forecasts with a 135% jump in profits, thanks to rising oil prices.

The energy giant reported profits of $5.6bn (3.6bn) in the first three months of 2010, up from $2.4bn a year ago. Analysts had expected a figure of around $4.8bn on a replacement cost profit basis, which strips out fluctuations in the value of oil inventories."

"Exxon Mobil Corp reported a better-than-expected second-quarter profit on Thursday, as oil prices and margins to process crude into fuel rebounded from a year earlier and production rose."

:thumbup:

2. Admin Guest

whilst shell and bp etc make billions, actual money from each litre of fuel sold is pennies.

Bankers sitting on barrels of oil are driving up the price.

3. Whittle Forum Member

Cheapest i can find it is 126.9 :thumbd:

4. Andy947 Forum Addict

[Inflamatory remarks removed - Mods.]

[​IMG]
    (illustration for petrol 119.9p @17.5% VAT - but shows that more than 2/3rd is tax)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  5. Claypole Forum Junkie

Oh look another oil worker protesting the companies are making pennies...

We know the amount of tax but stop making it out the companies are nothing to do with the price.

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

Where did i say that ?

The New year increase is 100% goverment driven, DUTY AND VAT [8-}][:[]

7. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

And then because when petrol/diesel prices rise so does inflation so interest rates rise taking more of your hard earned

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

I've just gone down the route of driving a derv as a main car and collect Tesco clubcard points to soften the blow. Filled up today at just under 90 in the Volvo at 1.31 from Tesco.

9. degsgti1 Forum Member

1.31!!!! Isthat gold plated?
    I pay 1.23-1.26 but that's se London
    I used to wince paying 1.05 for super in my subaru a couple years ago, it would possibly make me cry now!!

10. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

123-127p round here (Manchester), but I did splash out on 138p V-Power Diesel this evening...only 20 quids worth mind... :lol:

11. G-Man Forum Junkie

Did that the other day too [:$]

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

BP Ultimate petrol - 134p last night up here.

Ultimate / V Power diesel - does anyone see a difference, I never did in my Audi Allroad TDi ?

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I always saw a slight difference with the V-Power petrol, but this was the first time I`d seen the Diesel flavour (my local shell doesn`t stock it), so thought I`d give it a bash.

Tank was properly empty, so I guess any effect should have been noticable almost straight away (done about 30 miles on it) but, TBH, nothing to report so far...

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

I've run V Power Diesel, normal diesel, various fuel additives and bio-diesel.

I can safely say I noticed no significant difference with V Power Diesel to justify its extra cost. That was on my old PD TDI and even on my current D5.

I now just run Millers Additive as it reduces the amount of smoke and touch wood i've had no problems with either car. In the Volvo rather than pay an extra 6-7 for a full tank of the premium fuel I just put the additive as its 12 a bottle and treats 8 tanks.

15. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

I managed to find a Shell Garage, not to far from me, selling Unleaded for 121.9 and diesel for 125.9, which atm isn't too bad tbh.

Why is it that Shell normally are the cheapest ones, and stock the better fuel? BP always seem to have higher prices (look at there recent profits). Ive always used Shell petrol though, it just seems to last longer.

Remember this thread everyone -

http://clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=221245&highlight=shell

That was back in August and i was quoting my local Shell garage selling at between 111.9 - 113.9 :o

16. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    well ive cut out driving to work on all but extreme weather days, i now cycle 10 miles round trip... not really something to write home about you all say but i used to be an 18 stone fat bloater who thought that exersion was the "devil", so moma told me!

basically my decision to get fit was partly influenced by fuel prices and not wanting to pay over a quid a litre to get to work, the other not being able to run up stairs (but that is a different story) i used to run a daily and a weekend car but am soon to get shot of the daily and use the fun car for the odd days i drive to work. saving me about 350 a year in insurance and tax.

i am however on the lookout for an electric car...... [:^(]

17. aidanb22 Forum Member

Other than G-wiz or similar new one, there was a Citroen Berlingo Electrique, in the van form not MPV.
    Sometimes come up on ebay quite cheap. Would have one like a shot if I had a regular commute and work charging.

18. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

exactly what i would be looking for, rip out the workings and put into a 206... we do have an outlet in our work carpark that can be utilised.

19. aidanb22 Forum Member

20. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

indeed, i don`t mind them taking a couple of quid off my wages a week to cover the costs for electric.. but i doubt they would mind as the plant is on a substation so from that you can imagine the electric consumption just by production activities