Petrol prices set for record high

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by altern8, Apr 7, 2010.

1. m1keh Forum Member

LPG will soon be no cheaper to use. But as has been said we all still want to get around so we buy fuel. End of story.

2. hypojam Forum Member

I've been running a 1.6 LPG Astra for the last 2 years, gas used to be 50p a litre... now the cheapest I can get is 71p a litre!... its almost at the point where its as cheap to run the car on normal unleaded :(

3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

At a slight tangent to the topic, I'm curious what people are achieving by only putting 10 worth in their cars?
    Unless it's a day or two before pay day & thats all you have to spare you're not actually saving any money because you'll just have add fuel more often.
    I doubt that the price will drop significantly before you use a whole tankful

4. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

I pay 67P/L for autogas so still pretty much half the price of petrol from countrywidefarmers

5. m1keh Forum Member

Less weight to accelerate everytime you move off, and less to move up hills etc. Increasing your mpg slightly.

6. Admin Guest

can't say i've seen an increase in mpg when running light,
    might as well bite the bullet and fill up when its needed.

7. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

When I had the golf country LPG was something daft like 45p. Used to fill the tank for 13!

What are the chances of getting caught using red diesel? My mate changes his car every year before the MOT is due, I'm sure he's running it as the forklifts where he works run on it.

8. aidanb22 Forum Member

Have a 2nd tank hidden in the car/van and use red in that, switch over when you see vosa pulling people in to the laybys.
    Can't be sure, but suspect there is more to it than just tank dipping, can test exhaust emissions?

9. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

wouldn't risk using red diesel at any cost
    you'll get charged with tax evasion big time

10. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

As a driver living in rural North Wales, the rising fuel prices are indeed extremely frustrating and annoying. However, I work in the environment sector and have a keen interest in the environmental issues facing our planet. I believe that the point of 'peak oil' was passed sometime around 2005/06 and we are now on a downward spiral. Demand for oil is booming, especially from countries like China and Brazil...there's just not enough to go around and at the end of the day there are just too many of us!![:s].

I realise that a large percentage of the amount we pay for a litre of unleaded is actually tax..but this government will not persist from taking our money.

I honestly believe that we will see unleaded at 1.50 per litre before the end of 2011. I think before the end of this decade we will be seeing the price of a litre of unleaded at well over 3.00!![:x]

It's gonna happen folks and our beloved Gti's will no longer be remotely economical to drive, as indeed will the majority of petrol/diesel cars. The only way forward I can see is for electric cars.

In ten years time shows like Top Gear will be extinct and millions upon millions of internal combustion engine vehicles will have been scrapped, because they have become worthless due to the HIGH cost of fuel!! I believe we will see a huge surge in fuel theft and cars being drained of fuel when parked in the street. The Mad Max scenario is not that far away.

Unfortunately we have had our golden years of growth and prosperity in the UK.In twenty years time this country will be unrecognisable.

Love your Gti's whilst you can and start hoarding petrol is all I can suggest.[:^(][:^(][:^(]

We are F****D!!

Alpenweiss2

11. TDB86 Forum Member

Well i was already screwed as i only get 100miles at the most out of a 40L tank in my mk1 which will only run on the high octane and my navara only does 24mpg. looks like im going to be poor forever :(

12. Admin Guest

100miles for 40l?:o

11mpg:o[xx(]

Whats it got?

13. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

My old engine ;) thats what!

14. Admin Guest

hole in the tank?:lol:

15. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Whatever, buying a smaller car or diesel is NOT the answer.. simple fact is if we all start using less fuel, the Oil companies and the money grabbing scum in westminster will see a fall in income, and guess what thier reaction will be? bet your bum it's not 'do nothing'

The current value of the pound vs the dollar is not helping at all either, as oil is sold in dollars, and when oil was $100 dollars a barrel the pound was worth $2, now its only worth $1.56

But the big villan is as has been said the pond life at westminster

TBH the fuel protest of 2000 was 6 months too early, had it been 6 months later it would have been smack bang on the election and would have made a much larger difereance. But that level of protest is what we need, its the only thing that will work. We need to adjust our attitude to westminster, to that of the french attitude to their leadership

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  16. Admin Guest

I haven't as yet seen an effect method of protest that Government here take note of.

17. danster Forum Addict

That is because the British public couldn't arrange a pee up in a brewery.

And the fact that the distribution of wealth means that there are still many people that have no problem paying these increased fuel costs, both in petrol for cars, and housing energy needs.
    Just how long can this ever increasing cost of energy go on out of interest?
    I heard some garbage on the radio last week and some joker was saying that the petrol price increases were needed to stop global warming and the green house effect. Eh? I can just see Victoria Beckham giving up her 10mpg Range Rover because the fuel went up more. The trouble is that the rich are the ones who use all the energy because they have so much cash it does not bother them one bit.
    Meanwhile there are folks freezing in their poorly insulated houses. Is this just modern evolution that folk need to endure and beat? [:s]

18. Funky Diver Forum Member

There needs to be a viable and FREE alternative to energy.

Let's face it, the Government won't back it as it's not going to earn them revenue. Big business won't back it, for the same reason.

A clever boffin needs to create a Hydrogen powered engine that DOES split the water and release Otoo... or even better... sucks in CO and COtoo and burns the carbon releasing the Oxygen. That'll reverse the global warming [:D] ~(and before you say it... yes, I know COtoo is a by-product of burning!)

19. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Global warming is a load of nonsense anyway. Wouldn't mind a bit of it right now either.

20. Zaphod

Zaphod Forum Member

Indeed,

Actualy the fuel protests of 2000 were having an effect, only issue was the spin Dr's in westmnister managed to con the general public that it was effecting the energency services, it wasn't, they have had and always did have their own supplies and these were not effected, neither were LPG supplies, which was fun.. the motor ways were deserted!!!

Toady B'liar and the pond life were close to caving, unfortunatly the daft public did not ditch him and his party at the 2001 election, dooming us to the mess we are in how, the final Gordon B'ruin administration when they realised they had no hope of winning then started a huge bonfire of public money, leaving the current admin with virtually no room to do anything, Cuts are all they can do till its all back in order. Worst thing that can happen is the housing market recovers, the insane gains of the last 10 years have to be undone before the economy as a whole has a chance. Fact is to get back out of this we have to start making things again, and untill housing costs are at the level of the rest of europe the british factory worker is too expensive

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011