Petrol prices set for record high

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by altern8, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Ess Three Forum Member

There are many marginal oil fields out there...fields that were viable at $100+/bl but now are costing money to operate.
    There are oil companies that have gone under already due to this.
    As mature assets get older, the lifting costs go up due to higher maintenance costs and breakdowns...

Believe me, there are fields sailing close to the wind.
    There are plenty that aren't of course!

2. Claypole Forum Junkie

They moan about the price per barrel making it more expensive too but did you ever see it go down at any point by a significant amount?

They trot out that old chestnut that the price is what they paid a while ago for what you are using at the pump now but eventually the petrol you are using cost a lot less. They are just filling their boots because they know they can get away with it. :thumbup:

3. Ess Three Forum Member

Don't confuse oil companies with petrol sellers.
    There are petrol sellers who are divisions of oil companies...but the majority of oil companies don't have downstream divisions...so the price at the pumps is nothing to do with them.

The cost of petrol to make varies very little too...if a barrel of oil costs $80 to lift...when it sells for $60 they lose money, when it sells for $140 they make money...but take off nearly 50% production/corporation tax...and remeber the lifting costs stay the same...the profit isn't as much as people seem to think.

Sure, there is a variation...but it's small compared to the tax on the petrol, that the government take.

4. deenpuk New Member

Is a shame we just tend to get used to it. I don't think any of us drive less. It is rediculous

5. DGT

DGT Forum Member

most people say, ah its only a fiver stop being tight..these people are mugs and are being beaten by the system.

To say theres not much profit in a barrel of oil...have you seen dubai or abu dhabi, gold plated merc slr's the place is dripping in oil money,theres a new island complex being built in the shape of a palm tree every week... and these guys dont give a ****, why should they, plus when the oil runs out theyll be happy enough just moving back into their tents in the desert, theyve had their fun

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

Petrol now 1.21 and dirty diesel 1.25 :(

88 to fill the Volvo from the bottom up now plus Tesco's only give me 1 clubcard point for every 2 too :lol:

7. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Petrol duty and VAT rises to increase price of fuel

Well. due to Petrol duty and VAT to increase, it looks like petrol is going up yet again!

The most ive seen it today was 126 for petrol / 130 for diesel. :o

What is going on!!!

Ive been thinking about this alot lately. If everyone would stick together, and boycot every petrol station up and down the country, which would effectively grind the country to a hault, i'm sure it would be the only way of sorting this crisis out, and would leave the petrol companies with no choice but to lower there prices.

I know its easier said then done, as people have to get to work, plus other commitments ect, but it would be effective. Also another way of grinding the country to a hault is getting big companies to hault there fleets of lorries. That way nothing would get about. :thumbup:

Just a thought... As im sure this will effect the majority of us on here!

8. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

Posters are still blaming the oil companies, its the tax on it that makes it so expensive, over half the cost and still increasing.

9. Admin Guest

Government need to cut back on the tax/duty they make on fuel, but its such easy money for them they won't.

10. Andy947 Forum Addict

FFS [:x]

When will you and all the other IDIOTS out there realise it is not the oil cmpanies driving the massive prices, its the TAX and DUTY on the fuel set by the government

[:x]

11. Richard Mk2

:lol:

12. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

all self employed people etc start putting up our charges
    so it wont push up inflation much!
    everyone should strike next month demanding at least 5% pay rise

13. Richard Mk2

Sound like an diea rocco ;) :thumbup:

14. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

I hate the government too, we get taxed on everything :( Im with the people who say we should bring the country to a halt by any means possible, that's the only way to get the message across.
    It won't be long before the oil runs out, I know BP/Angola are opening an oil field mid 2011 that will run for 40years.
    What with all the oceans & forests being destroyed at a unsustainable rate we probably will have to make the change to other means of fuelling

15. Phat Ass Forum Member

133.9 for diesel was the worst i saw before the vat hike near the south coast and 135.9 on the motorway. I'm guessing each of them are probably 2-3p more now.

16. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

The "running out of oil" business is more than likely an excuse to up prices here and there. It's a load of pish, it won't go in our lifetime or the next.

17. Admin Guest

true look at the amount of oil that got p*ssed all over Florida this summer thanks to BP. they didn't seem that concerned about stopping it. the clear up cost for starters was mind boggling figures.

18. Richard Mk2

:thumbup:

It will get the message across, its just a case of getting the whole country together, which would be hard...
    But, i think its got to a stage where fuel prices are just ridiculous and people have just had enough.

19. VWPowered Forum Member

i've been paying E1.57 over here for petrol....[:x]

20. 1981GOLFGTI Forum Member

Yes I agree that was an awful disaster due to them cutting corners on safety, & they paid the price. Once that spill started BP tried everything to stop it, they just weren't prepared for such a large scale disaster.
    I'm glad it cost them ridiculous amounts because of the damage they caused