Petrol prices set for record high

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by altern8, Apr 7, 2010.

1. aidanb22 Forum Member

Looks like you'd have to keep it in the Berlingo to get the mot/tax exemption though. And I forgot about insurance!

I must look in to these again actually, especially if that range is true.

2. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    i am actively now searching!

3. nhoj62

nhoj62 Forum Member

cheap tesco here is 122.9 expensive tesco is 124.9
    shell is 126.9, total is not far behind them
    sainsburys is 122.9
    asda and morrisons is about 120.9 to 122.9, tho i don't use there petrol as it don't agree with the car.

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I an utterly astounded that the government have still gone ahead with a 2p duty increase as well as the VAT. paying tax on a tax, wonderful...

It's an absolute disgrace, hut the motorist the hardest, same old story.

Paid 126.9 this morning at BP, for the privilege of getting my hand covered in derv, because the hose was leaking and there were no gloves. Dirty robbing *******s.

5. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Where will the taxes go though if we all stop using petrol and give up smoking? Food? Massive road tax? Money has to come from somewhere...

6. lowrider Forum Member

Thats why having a Land Rover that runs on red diesel as a daily made sense for me until recently! (10 for 30litres) It was the only way i could afford to get to work! Only problem is, i couldn't resist the temptation of a MK2 GTi any longer, so i'm back to getting **** raped at the pumps again[:x]

Probably a good thing though, only a matter of time before i got caught:(

7. andyMk3 Vendor

Would a petion on the governments website not be a start?

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Sounds good in theory, but ultimately pointless.

There`s been dozens of them already, and they clearly haven`t had an effect.

That was with the previous shower of course, but even less likely now with the tax-hungry Tories...

9. andyMk3 Vendor

What about a huge physical protest ?

Huge meet outside number 10?

10. PeeJay Forum Junkie

I think the petition function on .gov has gone now, too many people making up nonsense ones made it pointless.

Protesting about fuel prices is tricky - who do you protest to? The Oil Producers who suck the stuff up? The retailers? (which are largely the same people) OPEC for setting supply levels, world-wide governments for making it a tradable commodity and thus allowing speculating traders to drive the price up, The traders for trading, developing countries for developing and increasing car ownership and increasing demand or our government for setting duty levels to get enough money to keep the country's collective head just above water.

11. Admin Guest

I'd like to know where they are exactly p*ssing the money away that they get in.

12. danster Forum Addict

MPs expense claims for fuel on large cars no doubt. They are well enough off that they do not care if it goes up a few pence here and there.
    A lot harder for the lower paid though. I have a neighbour who is a paramedic, really decent guy doing an important and stressful job for society. He comes home after a 12 hour shift to a freezing house because he cannot afford to heat it all the time. It is an utter disgrace the distribution of wealth in western society, it makes me sick to the core. [xx(]

13. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Pointless thread.

We will all keep buying petrol.

THE END.

14. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

I dont remember but when tax was first put on petrol it was probably a small percentage of the cost but every budget it goes up a bit, once it reached a third of the total price that should have been it really, same with vat , where did that start and now up to 20 % and soon itll be 22 !/2 %, goverment needs to reign in its spending instead of just taking more all the time, all right for them with big wages and expenses (mostly rich people anyway i expect) but now difficult for averagely paid workers (me)

15. andyMk3 Vendor

+1 matey.

16. Claypole Forum Junkie

8 Billion a year in Foreign Aid. :thumbup:

17. Raider Forum Member

Since when has AutoGas rocketed in price?... Local BP to me is 1.36 Diesel..1.30 Unleaded and 1.27 Autogas..... Sure it was far far cheaper before.

Cheapest Unleaded I've seen near me is 1.23 at the Shell.... Only gone up penny since just after Xmas day.

18. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

It went exactly the same way with diesel though...

Petrol prices rose, while diesel was still much cheaper. Manufacturers produced better diesel engines so everyone jumped on diesels to save money (company fleets inparticular). Government couldn`t have that, so diesel price jumped as a result.

Now plenty of people are getting on the LPG band-wagon, so the price of gas jumps accordingly...

19. Raider Forum Member

;)
    Yes I know that;) but I'm sure it was well under a quid litre not that long ago...... Infact a quick look at petrolprices,com kicks up 70.9 litre for LPG at another local station...

20. Admin Guest

Corrected.

i'm sure LPG was 80p the other day when i was at the pump?