Petrol prices set for record high

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by altern8, Apr 7, 2010.

1. superden Forum Addict

I was just about to say the very same thing, the price of oil isnt the issue, nor the profit that the oil companies make, its the tax levied on the fuel by the government. It was hovering around the 80% mark back in the late 90's due to the escalator, and whilst its 'only' around 70% now, thats still staggering. It drives me insane when the government bleat on about the price of oil and the 'criminal' oil companies when its the tax thats the issue, but then its a typical political ploy to divert attention. As mentioned above, if you could at least see an improvement in the road network that would be something, but its just another demonstration of the contempt the British government have for its electorate. Afte the recent financial upheaval, I fail to see how they can justify a further 3p increase on top of the rise of VAT.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

can't afford to run your gti now petrol has increased?

sell it and buy a 1.0 polo or golf mk2 1.3 or golf mk3 1.4 ... or even a dirty diesel

can still be dubbing it in style

3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Lucky you, this may amaze you but we're not all as well off as you are.

Perhaps us poor people shouldn't be so pretentious as to own a car & should learn to live within our means stop pretending to be rich?

I'm in a similar position to Dennis where a fiver may not be difference between life or death but it does matter and it is worth worrying about.

It may be worth considering that your salary may not be 50% of your outgoings for much longer & one day you too may have to worry about a fiver.

4. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

But the actual price of a barrell of oil is lower now than it was a year ago, ok tax has gone up but not by the amount that the petrol at the pumps has.

EDIT. Last year oil was $100 per barrell, today it is $86.

So the increase in prices at the pump isn't purely down to tax

5. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

nothing to do with rich/poor, and Im certainly not 'well off' as you put it. I just made a decision a few years ago (when heavily in debt) that I would make a big effort to reduce my outgoings.

I drive a cruddy vectra, which I hate but it's a sacrifice I make (i.e not buying something new/finance) so that when my council tax goes up 20 a month, or fuel goes up I'm not skint.

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

errr, reality check, it SHOULD be more like 37p a litre. MOST of the price is tax, how the hell has it got like that? it's an absolute disgrace.

7. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Tax is approx 63% of the cost of petrol, and the actual crude oil is 24% cheaper than last year so where the hell has the rest of the price rise come from?

I'm confused

8. PeeJay Forum Junkie

It's only going to keep going up too. Crude is on a one-way road to $200 a barrell as the world comes out of recession, unless China and India sinks or something.

For me it comes down to Passat V6 Tdi, leather, climate, heated seats and effortless speed (within reason) and 32mpg or take the noisy little basic spec Yaris and get 45mpg. It's a 40 miles round trip to work now, if I still worked 4 miles away I'd be cycling in.

I don't want to **** anyone off, but I'm with Rip, if you're budgeted so fine that 20 a month is a real strain the budget's wrong. I've got a mate who's really 'good' with money. Budgets every last thing to the penny down the buying exaclty the same thing every week in the supermarket etc, but there's no 'spare' money, or hobby money as I call it as most of mine goes to the local bike shop. So he'd got a full Sky package which in theory he can afford - as long as a single thing goes wrong! Car needs a tyre and he's eating Aldi beans for a month - crazy.

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

10. superden Forum Addict

No, but the tax makes up the majority of every pound you spend, and thats the problem.

11. alexisblades99 Forum Member

and unlike when we buy fuel (or anything else for that matter), we can't shop around on tax!

unfortunately maggie's (and tony's) privatisation drive didn't include government, maybe if we had a choice over who we paid our taxes to, things would change.

12. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I still don't get how tax is the main culprit.

In 2008 tax on a litre was 63p, a litre cost under a pound at the pumps & crude oil was $100(ish) per barrell

Today tax is +/- 85p per litre but a barrell of crude is $68.

So tax has gone up by approx <20%(?) but the actual cost of the oil is 22% less therefore according to my very dodgy maths the cost at the pumps should be at least 2% less than last year?

13. Admin Guest

for a moment i thought you said you had a jimny, a dog and a good looking wife who cooked only organic food

14. G-Man Forum Junkie

The cost of a barrell of crude oil and the selling price is far from the full on maths:

There are many other fluctuating costs that might be hidden from the 'raw' price of a barrell of crude oil.

The shipping rates to transport crude oil has flucuated a lot from being really low to really high.

Crude oil 'price per barrell' is not often the value bought by suppliers as it is often traded using future forecasted rates within contracts of purchase.

Not to mention the time delay between the market demand and that of supply; the time difference can also affect the price if the demand is greater than the time lag to produce supply.

Edit:

Forgot to add in that 2% difference don't forget to take into account the increase in cost of getting the fuel to the retailer (after all they pay for the diesel too)

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

I have a vectra, a cat and no misses. DEF not as successful as the great man [:^(][:^(][:^(]:lol:

16. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    so if everyone sells up their big petrol cars and buys smaller diesels that will cure it!!!! nah, just a derv price surge will happen like during the last "record high" period..

i am fortunate anyway as i run a small diesel, but when everyman and his dogs start talking about getting a diesel i kinda shudder. small petrol car is the way to go i think.

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

Yeah but he only had an Astra! So one up on him :lol:

18. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

^^^ ummm, with a FAR superior chassis.... der!!!! and estate for his surfboards on his way to the body of all bodies don't ya know

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

oh right, so leon is actually sunderlandm?

good to meet ya

20. AndrewF Forum Addict

Worst i'm richer than you post ever! ;););):lol:

Whatever your earnings, i don't see how anyone can be happy at having to pay more. Although not sending me to the breadline, an increase in the cost running a car that does low 20's on super UL only ain't the most fun (altho obv my choice)