PVW "What not to wear" (post your own)

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by PhatVR6, Dec 16, 2005.

1. breeze Forum Member

[:$]

If I was utterly loaded I think that spending thousands on an old shed would be good fun. Strip it, build the engine, do all the track stuff to it. Yumm...

2. King Kwik

King Kwik Forum Member

:clap:

Lee

3. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

16v conversions into mk1! come on, what are you all thinking of??!! [:s]
    Its an old mk1 that belongs in the scrap yard. Who would ever do such a thing of bolting a powerful engine into a rusty shell :lol:

4. Admin Guest

Lots of people here with lots of issues.

Most stuff looks ok if it's done correctly. Wolfsburg Badges can look good for example. As can some newer badges on the older cars.

And no, I don't have either on mine thanks :-)

5. RSSGOLF Forum Junkie

take it my car is w@nk then seein as it has a badboy bonnet, R32 lights with LED indicators, non standard f/bumper, and is a modded diesel so doesn't go quick?

[​IMG]

6. Tuff Schmitt Forum Junkie

Perfect, dent-free bodywork is out of fashion too.

At least, I hope so.

7. Admin Guest

Must admit, I do normally dislike modded bonnets, but that one looks very cool.

Subtley is key you see. All these people winging wouldn't winge so much if the people that did these mods did them in a classy, understated way.

8. superden Forum Addict

Define sl*g off, as `attempt` is an apt word for many `modified` cars. I appreciate that many people do not share my opinions on automotive styling. Chavs for instance, probably think my lack of support for the bodykit and neon trend is rather `dull`. But if you post a pic of your car on the internet, expect at least one person to say `thats sh*t` etc. Posting a pic on the internet is to invite opinion, both good and bad. If someone posts a pic of a Mk2 Golf with a sh*t bodykit, sh*t Lexus lights and sh*t alloys then yes ...

... I`m going to say `thats sh*t`. If they dont like it, maybe they shouldnt post a pic of the b*stard creation on the internet. Besides, if they like it what difference does someone elses opinion make ? The world really would be horrendously boring if we all went around mumbling platitudes, congratulating each other on how `super` and `marvelous` our cars are.

By the way, whilst we are on the subject of things you `dont get`, I`d like to add:

1. The obsession with croak green.

2. The obsession with BBS rims (particularly 14" RA`s).

3. The obsession with 90 spec trim.

:)
    Edited by: superden

9. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Car modification is just that,a modified car,if sticking on something or changing the way it looks then you are being an individual.
    Sure some cars make you cringe when you see them but to the owner they are the best thing in the world because it is individual to them and through someones creativity some inspiration can be had to others,even car manufacturers.
    Biggest problem I have with "modified" cars are they are following a trend,monkey see monkey do attitude, and are not individual enough.

10. superden Forum Addict

Conformists are not individuals.

Non-conformists (by the very act of non-conforming) are conforming.

Thus they too are, in a way acceptable to them, conformists, and not individuals.

:) :lol:

11. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

my mk2 looked stunning, with its air brushed fuel cap, BBS Rm's small bumpers and cristal lights, and i dont really care what any one else thinks, diss it all you like, every one likes different things otherwise the world would be boring!

12. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Is that a dig at my Oak Green :lol:

13. superden Forum Addict

* looks around the thread innocently *

Me ?

[:|] :lol:

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The art in the VW game is subtlety, as mentioned above, and keeping a sense of what VW stands for ie high quality (read 'classy').

Too lairy = chav (generally).

(From a social perspective you generally find those with an inferiority complex will generally force across their image, car mods etc in order to counter this. Others have no need, and go for a far more subtle image.)

Whitewall and roofracks? All a bit of fun really - at least they don't look like the fast/furious.

Crosshairs? Pretty subtle, if fairly commonplace.

Welded on eejit-spec mega bad boy bonnets = chavster. Smaller eye-brow trim = subtle & down to personal taste.

Lexus lights? Widely copied, tacky, hardly subtle. Compare with half tints / M3 tints - classier, if obvious.

Given that, each to their own IMHO, as long as they can keep it subtle and add to the variety that is the VW watercooled scene.

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

mk2 bumpers on mk1's.

16. sportline Forum Junkie

i have to agree with most of what youve written there den, my point was infact aimed at whoever started this thread. i think listing a load of mods which someone thinks is crap is a bit mean, when 90 % of people on here probably have some of those mods.
    now the whole freedom of speach thing is fine den, he's aloud his opinion, and i'm aloud to react to it on the forum.

if i was to tell a certain person the wheels on his corrado are far to big and in my opinion spoil the car, or other such remarks about other cars of his, or i could say they look poo if i was in the mood.
    I can pretty much guarentee he'd get upset and defensive.

17. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

aye,this thread is just highlighting personal preferences,nowt wrong with that but obviously there will be a lot of differing views and opinions,its what keeps the world interesting.

and theres feck all wrong with sunstrips [:|] :lol:

18. chopperoli Forum Member

:clap:

19. superden Forum Addict

Why ? Nobody complains if someone posts up an XR3i or a Saxo with 17" alloys on just so they can say `wow, look how w*nk that is blah blah blah`, even though by your standards thats `mean`. But, because these comments are aimed at the VW scene, people start getting defensive. That smacks of double standards, which is indicative of the UK `scene` in general.

I rather thought that was the whole point of this thread ? In starting it hes doing nothing more than offering an opinion and asking for responses to it. I dont see him getting defensive or upset ?

Ergggh, agreed 100%. Big bumpers on Mk1 Golfs looks sh*te.

But why should someone mod their VW for the sake of `the scene` ? If someone wants to add 19" spinners and a bad-boy bonnet to their Mk2, so be it. There will be people who hate it (me included) and will say so openly. But thats the benefit of a public forum in my opinion. I do understand your point though, subtle/understated is my preference as well !

What annoys me however, is the idea that you should fall into line somehow with the UK idea of what the VW `scene` should be. Mmmm, 90 spec, BBS, 20vT and oak green ... ooh I can barely contain myself with all the excitement. Take a look at the aircooled shows or (if you want to stay with watercooled) the Euro VW scene, theres a massive variation of styles and mods. Does the scene suffer ? No ! Worthersee is a prime example, it puts Inters in its place. In fact it puts the dull UK VW scene in its place full stop. With a few exceptions, I saw nothing at the last Inters I went to that made me think `wow` or `oooh I cant wait to see whats here next year`. I`m not saying `quick everyone buy a bodykit and neons` ... just that there is more to life than BBS, OEM and f*cking well following each other like sheep to the styling slaughter.

* aaaaaaaaaaaaaand ... breathe *

:lol:
    Edited by: superden

20. VeeDub_RS Forum Member

I think lots of different mods some listed in the original thread can look fine if done the right way e.g i like the front end on RSSGOLFS car, guess each to his own..

did also notice that phatty didnt mention Humongous sun visors that block half the front screen ? or do they come under graphix ?