Stoooopidest thing you ever did in a car?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by lowrider, Jun 29, 2005.

1. IanCarvell Forum Member

Ahhh that reminds me of my days living in Sweden...Happy days!

Many a time running down ditches at 45 degrees.....just keep your foot in!

2. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

When I was about 14 or so, my dad would be driving his Sierra 2.9i V6, steering with his knees whilst rolling a fag, pressing the clutch and having me change gear for him.

Good times....

3. olliemk2 Forum Member

in my old 323 bm racing my mate in his starlet turbo(300bhp) along dual carriageway, turned traction control off coming upto a roundabout so i could get the most out of it on the exit... my mate was dusting me so i got over excited and gave it too much welly coming off roundabout ending up fishtailing bout 100 metres down dual carriageway then spun 180degrees facing traffic, **** myself...drove wrong way back to roundabout and carried on... was shaking like f*** after that one!!:lol: [:$]

4. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

After dropping the ex off home, thought I'd have a blast along the fun country road where she lives (it was about midnight). Went around a corner which I thought led to a long straight.. But it didn't. It led to an unmarked junction which was so worn had no white lines! (Sure that's illegal?) panicked and slammed on the brakes, straight into the kurb before the junction.

Not much damage, buggered steelie/tyre and lower suspension arm.

Learned my lesson that night!

Then this christmas, hit a kurb with the golf one street away from my house in the ice. Took it stupidly slow due to the weather but it still didn't want to go around the corner fully! Steelie was buggered, everything else was all good though.
    What is it with me and kerbs!

5. DarrenH Forum Member

railyway bridge at indicated 80mph in my first cavalier, all 4 wheels off the ground, bellied the whole car on the landing and my piper back box fell off.

6. coilbox Forum Member

Im in tears, soooo funny!!!

I remember at university, a mate came with his dads 406. And we went rallying for a while......till we hit a kerb and damaged the rim.

We couldnt stop laughing, and it just got worse with Him saying his dad was going to kill him etcetcetc.

Well, we changed the spare whell for him. He was just too nervous. And put the "motorsport cover" on, something like this one:
    [​IMG]

We went all back in the car, and he said: "Sure its on tight?"

He got out, put the spanner ON THE PLASTIC, and broke the cover in half. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny ass hell, could hardly sleep from the tummy ache

7. coilbox Forum Member

Remember the first "repair" I ever did was to change the oil in my mk2 gti.

Eaaaasy, I thought!!!

Next weekend I threw 1liter of gearbox oil over my clutch.............not the right place

8. Matt G Forum Member

invented a new sport: parky's trolley.

we used a car to push my bro's mate stood up (surfing) on a shopping trolley towards a curb in a car park. we pushed the trolley up to 30 mph then let it roll off to the curb on its own momentum.

object of the game was for parky to land running (or just survive!).

the front wheels of the trolley hit the curb and the trolley does an endo catapulting parky into the air arms an legs flailing.

by this time me and mo bro are literally in pain laughing. best bit was parky landed running, made us laugh even more!

wish we had caught it on video - one of the funniest things ever.

now im a bit older i realise it was just plain stupid;)

9. benny Forum Member

My mate suggested that I steer as he drove his Fiesta Popular home from the pub. 9 miles later, we arrived back at my house as he gunned at the driveway hit the gatepost and f*cked the side of the Fiesta. :lol:

The same mate passed his driving test by borrowing someones glasses. He was too vain to admit that he had bad eyes.

He then ended up writing off the said Fiesta when he decided that he could get home from the pub without the need for headlights. He managed about a mile. [8(]

10. penny71 Forum Member

I used to work for a hire car firm who shall be anonymous ! Employed me for the summer at 18 (1988) One night I collected a 1.4 ford orion at the airport off hire and took it home for the night. Met a friend on his tuned 125 and proceeded to race over my favourite B road ... I could go quicker on the corners but couldnt match his acceleration out on the short straights (I had 2 passengers also). There was one place I might get him ... a long bumpy downhill straight which ends with a yump which goes straight into a fast right .
    Now NORMAL procedure for this bend was to brake to about 70 .. do the jump .. and then do the corner (no time for braking after the jump!) I was so busy making sure I was safely past my mates bike with pedal to the metal that we hit the jump going flat out ... SHEET! check speedo ..105, check view out windscreen ... only tarmac! (**** of car had kicked up) all the while knowing I had a bend to deal with. Cue the biggest adrenalin spike I ever had.
    The front crunched down .. the mirrors lit up with the sparks Adrenalin and luck allowed me to drift it through the bend using every inch of road. PHEW kept driving ..then the speedo stopped ...steering was ropey. Under the next towns street lights checked it out and the wheels were not central in the arches either.
    Took it in to work in the morning and said that the speedo wasnt working and the tracking maybe needed doing. At the dealer it got driveshafts, bottom arms new final drive etc.
    An Arabian "farmer" had hired it for 2 weeks before this so he got the blame - oops. He didnt get billed though as they didnt do that in this company at that time. I loved that job and worked for about 6 years during summers and at weekends there.

11. Joolz Forum Member

I've bloody done that in my rocco, slowed down and thought hmmm that IS a lot of steam[:$]

Also, scariest thing so far, is being a huuuuge crossroads waiting patiently to go right at a red light (was following the other half luckily) in my mk2 goof. Lights change to green, I floor it and turn right... steering wheel spins in my hands, heading for oncoming cars. The sodding spine was shot on the steering wheel!! luckily avoided a buggering[:$] [:$]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  12. BbqDude New Member

This all happened while I lived in South Africa. Ran out of petrol racing a 2L 16v mk2 golf with my Mk1 Gti at 180km/h on a tight bend on a highway in the middle of the night. The car shuddered so bad nearly lost it.
    As a passenger in a Rolled passat 1973 station wagon in a parking lot by my mates sister who was learning to drive. Parking bays where on a hill and went down in layers she rolled it off one layer down an embankment and it landed on its roof on another parking bay layer. The car was still working upside down. After getting some boucers to roll it over. We drove it home with the roof squashed and the windscreen missing.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2008
  13. thegave Forum Member

Having a couple of open bottles of Smirnoff Ice in the drink holders just before the missus and I did it in the back. Our first time too.

14. pipster Forum Member

Did a similar thing one night in my mums fiesta years ago. Was doing a bit of a "night stage" on a twisty pitch black country lane and went to switch the lights off for a sec
    (like ya do to spot oncoming traffic's lights) only I was mid bend at the time and had to straighten up for the next one. Was in total darkness at high speed with 3 screaming girls in the back till I found the light switch again........feckin scary....and stupid!!

15. red 8V Forum Member

:thumbup: we have all done some mad stuff

16. deepdishtj Forum Member

just after i passed my test in a mk3 1.8 se i got lift off oversteer. and i stood on the brakes even tho i new not too!!!!!! not the best thing to do! i ended up facing the other way with a car that was coming the other way 2'' from my back bumper[:$]

17. lowrider Forum Member

Seeng as i started this thread 5 YEARS ago! i thought i'd carry it on...

Last week i went off roading in my land rover discovery, drove through the water that i've been through a million times before, only this time managed to find a hole in the bottom off it, which rather annoyingly was almost the exact shape and depth of a Discovery:clap: A quick tow out, opened the doors to let the water out, and after about 45mins of spraying everything in WD40, it started, and i drove it home..... very wet and smelly![:$]

Hence me now looking to sell my other Discovery and buy a MK2:thumbup:

18. leontdi Forum Member

tried to do a j turn in my maestro 1300 , and lost it at about 50 and almost rolled it .

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Quite recently, turned into my street to find a car half-blocking my drive (the same car that had been doing it consistantly for a number of months, but never managed to collar it`s owner), and since I`d had a particularly sh*t day, I thought, `F*ck you mate!`, and proceeded to turn into my drive as normal and rammed the offending piece of Jap-crap out of the way...

It shunted back about three foot with it`s alarm blaring, sporting a smashed number-plate, and cracked bumper/grill with a big red smear on it.

I parked up, and went inside as normal, and ten minutes later heard the car start up and drive off...guess he then realised the error of his ways, since it hasn`t blocked my drive since...

Mk3 faired not to bad; bent the edge of the wing slightly by the headlight, and scuffed the bumper.

20. tobyk

tobyk Forum Member

Hmm...

Driving home from college one day at an increased pace, mate in the passenger seat comments on how well balanced my Polo was. I made a smart **** comment, next bend that came up, threw it in and backed off and held it sideways for a while, went to straighten up just as the left hand rear tyre exploded, car was about to roll but just about managed to power out of it, ended up going over the bank, snapped 17 fence posts, went THROUGH a foot diameter wooden gate post, bent the metal gate and eventually came to a rest after hitting a second strainer.

Only injuries were my mate who got stabbed by a thistle when he opened his door lol.

Was TPFT and the repairs to the farmer's fence line cost more than I paid for my car, which was a minted Mk2 Polo Coupe S :(