Another few notches in the dash...!

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by drew, Apr 12, 2004.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That's one point I will agree on, the mk4 is refined,the mk2.....ermm isn't :lol:

2. GVK

The immature blinkered GVK will have to say the mk2 ;)

Claire's R32 is a VERY nice car however:lol:

If the mk2 and the R32 were the choice of transport for a weekend tour of the lakes, we would go in the R32

If the same cars were the choice for blatting around Castle Combe next Saturday, we'll be strapped into the mk2 [:D]

Edited by: G_V_K

3. Rob.gti Forum Member

I too have driven all MK's of the GTI and have to agree the MK2 is probably the best allrounder in standard form. However, the R32 is emmense fun, powerful and comfortable, which is where it gets my vote. But as for the standard MK4 GTI... well it just isnt quite good enough. The MK4 GTi should have been more like the leon Cupra R and have 225bhp too

4. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Have all the R32 disbelievers actually DRIVEN one?! Making them sound like a big comfy GT or similar!
    They are actually pretty firm and damn well sorted.
    We also have a lot of torque up our sleeves.
    I'm sure a fully modded mk2 track weapon is quicker but not much in it and we can play sensible motorways too!
    About 800 gets us a nice chip and about 35 more bhp as well...

5. Guests Banned

i want to race my car round a track. i never done it before. is it a weekend end thing....every week?

pretty sure i can throw my car about a bit.

on the topic in hand i have never driven a r32. and my mk2 was a boat until i put the koni coilovers on it.

i think if you put r32 on track against a standard (all seats still in) mk2 golf. the r32 would murder it.

standard r32 against mk2 with coilovers and no interior etc....mk2 all day

my 2p

6. Golden Forum Junkie

If the R32 is not that, then what is it?

It's not shopping trolly, it's not a sports car, it's not a lightweight tarckday special.

Accept the fact that VW have gone away from the original GTI concept and created what is probably one of the best cars for covering ground, at speed, in comfort, since audi released the quattro.

7. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Well it feels pretty firm to me!
    Reckon you could easily shed 200kg from an R32.
    Now THAT would be interesting - Anyone done it yet?

8. Rob.gti Forum Member

I have - when I get out!! [:^(]

9. GVK

<sniggers> :lol:

R32 is suprisingly agile for the size and weight of it,and has immense grip.

Right, who can sweet talk one of the magazines to let us 'compare' these new and old cars at an airfield??

10. superden Forum Addict

R32 vs Audi Quattro :clap:

In the name of science :lol:

11. Golden Forum Junkie

10V, 20V or Sport [:-B]

12. GVK

I'd be right in thinking that the motoring media preffered the Focus RS to the R32 for outright track pace?? (not talking about on the road) ;)

Well driven (tidy lines etc) Focus RS was posting similar times (within 1-2secs) to what myself and Tub can manage around Donington national at last years RSOC national day.

Wouldn't call our cars 'fully modded' - still both got standard heads and cams :lol:
    Edited by: G_V_K

13. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

Focus RS is quicker than an R32 in a straight line and on a super smooth track. Pretty dire on proper roads though hence getting a pasting from the more thorough mags. I think an R32 would "have" a Focus on most real life roads and would paste it if wet.
    Audi Quattro 20V has power weight of 146bhp/tonne, 0-60 in 6.2 and (from memory) 0-100 in about 17.5 seconds so R32 should theoretically (sp?) be quicker. Quattro is bloody agile though - My Dad had three!
    Quattro Sport in the "serious" league. No chance!
    Would be keen to see a "shootout" like Autocar did with all marks of GTi a while back.
    Think some of the R32 snipers would be in for a wee shock.

14. GVK

Yep I'd like to see something similar too Matt -, but let's face it, that Autocar article was utter b0ll0cks

15. Admin Guest

i'd be well up for that, wouldn't be shocked by any results i would see, i would be happy if it proved that through time cars had got quicker.

but i thhink that any golf or VW could enter, standard or not, that would be interesting. ;)

16. Golden Forum Junkie

What, mainstream journalists brown nosing manufacturers, never............. :lol:

17. sutherlandm Forum Junkie

GVK - I'm sure you've been asked this a million times but what mods have you (and Tubs) had done and how quick (and powerful) are your cars?

18. Rob.gti Forum Member

I am pretty sure the R32 was faster round the Top Gear track compared to the Focus RS

19. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

well for my point of view (i'm very tight)

the depreciation through owning an R32 for 6 months is greater than i have spent on my golf in total. Including buying it.

so compared to an R32 my car was free - and i will be in profit compared to a year or two of R32 ownership....

20. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Sutherland:
    I ran a 15.3 1/4 on my first ever trip.. i know it will do faster than that. 0-60 then was around 6.5-7 seconds.

Me and Gary both have 2.0 16vs (one 91 one ABF) and both produced around 130bhp at the wheels (170ish @ fly). Both have coilovers, 280's, eibach ARB's and OMP RS seats.

Gary -- we should top that Focus time this year! [:D]