iPhone 4 - Announced

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Deako, Jun 7, 2010.

1. andypaterson Forum Member

I like the look, a bit more modern to the older iPhone which IMO is starting look a tad dated.

Cant really see that much that really makes it stand out. Higher resolution is a definite plus but i think the screen size could be a bit larger, seems like alot of empty space.

People will buy it in their droves, Apple folk will dump their 3Gs' to get one, after having done the same with the 3G etc. I can see the appeal, but I cant justify the price tag (even though i dont know it, I know it will be very high!). More of a lifestyle choice than a phone.

2. N/B

N/B Forum Member

What, like the fact that it's completely recyclable, or takes material usage in this type of device to a whole new level? The custom glass alone puts every other mobile device into the history books, imo.

The 'empty space' is known as a bezel, and is necessary to house the internals - not to mention the fact that if the whole face was a touchscreen, you probably wouldn't be able to hold it without unintentionally performing an action upon it.

The pricetag; Offline, will probably be about as much as the price of a decent set of tyres.
    I'm guessing the R&D costs of tyres paid for themselves a while ago...

3. andypaterson Forum Member

Sorry, but i really couldn't give a monkeys if the materials are recyclable. What's so special about the custom glass? Pardon my ignorance.

4. N/B

N/B Forum Member

Just watch the iPhone 4 video at www.apple.com - it's all there :thumbup:

5. andypaterson Forum Member

No headphones on my work PC. Will have to take your word for it ;)

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

To those of you who are really into the iPhone and the SDK: does anyone know if the iPhone 4 is expected to properly support Bluetooth SPP (Serial Port Profile), which would allow applications to transfer serial data with any third-party hardware?

It's something I'm really interested in, to do with a project I'm doing.

7. fthaimike Forum Addict

I just make phone calls..... on my mobile.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  8. Mike_H Forum Addict

US pricing for the iPhone4 seems to be the same as the 3GS was, although I expect the carriers will start publishing prices in the next week. The 3GS is now available for the $99 price of the old 8GB 3G phone.

UK pricing will probably be similar to the 3GS, but will depend on what contract you take, if the previous models are anything to go by. If you're not fussed about having the absolute latest version, the 3GS should be a great deal.

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Can't find any details of that on the web yet.

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Cool. Basically I'm making a MegaSquirt interface that can be used for any HTC, iPhone or iPod Touch; it'll work via WiFi and the device's web browser rather than using an app, to get around the above problem. I'm hoping to get it finished and make it open-source and would like it to be useful to iPhone users who are prepared to build the hardware.

Then again even if the iPhone 4 is opened up, many people are still going to have the 3GS etc. for a few years to come, so it's still worthwhile doing the WiFi idea I think.

I get the impression that Apple restrict compatibility with third-party devices over Bluetooth for a reason, i.e. the same reason why they tightly control the apps available.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

I don't know the logic behind it, and could guess at several reasons, but there are certainly issues with non 'made for iPhone' hardware and accessories.

I was planning to have a word with a tame iPhone developer about a MegaTune type interface, but he went and left [:^(] I'm not sure how you'd connect to the serial port either - all way too technical for me.

If you want some help testing it, let me know! Does it mean you'll need a bluetooth gizmo built in to the ECU, or would you just use a bluetooth-serial port adaptor (I guess there might be some out there) at the ECU end.

If you make it an App, you'd be able to sell it, or embed advertising and cover your costs that way - maybe even buy yourself a beer for your trouble.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  12. Dan172 Forum Member

Well i'm sold! pre-ordering mine next week!

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Just read it uses a new `micro` SIM card...

Does that mean, if your upgrading, there will be faffing about porting numbers?

O2 say if you buy online or pre-order for launch delivery they`ll send out a new micro-SIM which I assume would be a clone of what you`ve got already?

What happens if you upgrade in-store, which I`m more likely to?

14. clart Forum Member

My girlfriend works for o2 so she is going to hide a black 16gb for me then I'll try and go down on release day to pick it up, how exciting!!

15. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Shouldnt be any hassle with porting numbers. They should handle everything fast.

If you buy or upgrade in store, they will have the micro sims ready to transfer all your details over to. It might take 1-2 hours once you activate it.

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Nice one. :thumbup:

Hope it is that easy...I can`t upgrade until the middle of August, so plenty of time to find out how people get on.

And someone at work will undoubtedly get one beforehand so I can have a play and make my mind up if I really want one (which I pretty much know I do already... :lol:)

17. PeeJay Forum Junkie

Still got another year to run on my 3G, but I'd be tempted to buy 'sim free' if it's not a million pounds, in fact if it was silly money I'd be tempted anyway.

The nice thing about Apple - yes that's right, big US firm is 'nice' is that as when the 'S' came out, they'll offer free software upgrades to the older ones to give as many features as poss of the new one.

18. Dan172 Forum Member

theyre doing a special deal for buying out contracts at 20 a month instead of normal price.

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

12 months x 20 = 240
    iPhone 4 upgrade 200 + 24 month contract @ 35 p/m

= 1280 approx

Personally, id wait to upgrade. Or sell your existing phone asap to offset the cost of ending your contract early.

For me, a 2 year contract upgrade is going to work out like this:

200 upgrade + 24 p/m x24

= 776 approx

We get 30% friends and family discount on our contracts. However, as myself and my wife will be upgrading, we can multiply that by 2. :(

When iPhone 5 is released next year, we are hoping that our iPhone 4 will still be worth a considerable amount to sell them and to buy 2x new iPhone 5's sim free.

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm going to chime in again, as these numbers are fecking ludicrous.

I've not bashed them, but I dislike staged product upgrades like what we're seeing. It's computer game mentality and 'must have newest', rolled into one.

As far as I can see, 700-1200 is getting lunched on comms equipment, for a 24 month upgrade and the latest kit. By comparison, my phone costs me ~ 20 a month, and I got it yonks ago.

The difference between the 2 gets someone to the 'Ring and back, or the Med, or whatever + more?

So the next time someone on here whinges on about being skint, my first question is going to be: "what phone are you p155ing money away on?"