iPhone 4 - Announced

Discussion in 'Computers and Consoles' started by Deako, Jun 7, 2010.

1. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Bang on Chris, those figure just shocked me and what shocks me more is the way people have no issue spending that, I should have a pretty nice Mk2 sorted for not far off that money, and that should last more than 24months. Do people seriously buy out there contracts to have the latest phone?

2. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Some people do, but im not one of those. Ive had my last iphone for 2 years. It cost me 99 new and ive paid 24 per month since then. Hardly breaking the bank is it? So Chris, its not actually cost me that much at all.

Some people pay over the odds, im not one of those. But i will be prepared to pay up to 200 for the iPhone 4 on a new contract.

I earn good money, dont drink alcohol, dont go to the pub, dont do any recreational drugs. This is my fun money. Some people think nothing about spunking 100 a week up the urinal. :thumbup: I buy and enjoy technology.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm only reacting to the numbers. This is what you've said is at your door [:s]

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding this, but people seem to buy this upgrade game all day long.

If I am hitting the leccy equipment market, I buy the newest kit I can, and work it as hard as possible for as long as possible. Or instead buy secondhand, and be prepared to lose it/break it/have it break.

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Its a subsidised phone contract. You would be paying 480 over the same period for a shoddy old phone. The alternative is to buy a pay as you go iPhone 4 for 550 up front (price for an Android phone like a Desire or Hero is between 400-500, so similarly priced) then put it on a payg simplicity contract, which would still cost 20 per month.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

My contract is 20 per month, & 500 minutes to any landline or mobile, so that's 240. I can bump it beyond 20 by yapping but it won't exceed 300 for the last year. It's not PAYG, just a monthly rolling contract.

Pays your money, takes your choice, but there is no question people are making luxury consumer choices here, and the annual cynical product makeovers are symptomatic of a society trained increasingly on a disposable attitude to virtually anything.

By all means earn it, buy it and use it, but as I say, anyone calling themselves skinted down the line gets no sympathy here.

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Thats a fair deal, your discount makes all the difference when having to have a 24months contract, but most are still forking out insane amounts of money. A friend and his g/f are apple people and they honestly know nothing about tech, they just need that status symbol and thats the bit that winds me up, its only a status symbol because of its marketing.

I live a sheltered life when it comes to tech, my brother is a tech head and if I need something I buy whatever he has, like the G1, it was a free phone at 30quid a month for 18months (and I tried my hardest for a 12month contract as I hate being tied down) Still its 540pounds for 18months which is a crazy amount of money for a phone, but paying for bt wifi in london was going to cost nearly 600pounds for 6months (30pounds a week!) no phone line on site so no other option to get my cgti fix, when put like that it all makes sense.

7. Raider Forum Member

Chuck away elcheapo fandangoo breakable Nokias for me...noone of this touchscreen **** either phones should have buttons. If it was unfortunate enough to meets its doom it wont be the end of the world or a personal disaster.

8. Raider Forum Member

How many minutes do you get for 24 quid then? Do these "Apps"s cost anything other than buying them thats if you do buy them?

9. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

I had forgotten you dont drink, doing the maths on that I spend about 60quid a month on booze, Iv totally given up smoking anything but that was also another 60quid a month, fair to say thats a Ipad and fancy phone contract over one year, but not enough for a apple laptop but thats a whole different thread:lol:

10. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Raider thats why I had to have a phone with buttons for internet when working away, dirty man hands dont work on touch screen and when I try touch screen It normally ends up with me shouting at the phone.

11. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Same for me. Dont have time to go out and drink etc so spend it on enjoying stuff at home:thumbup:

I bought my current iphone on PAYG and went on simplicity.
    So about 450 + 20pm. Thats a 1 month contract so i can end it when i want.
    I could just sell my iphone and buy a new one PAYG but i will wait to see the reviews for a few months:thumbup:

12. Raider Forum Member

Iphone Fleshlight Appz n stuff?....

On a serious note what do you get for 20 on simplicity? Minutes/Message wise?

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

And im the mental one with my luxury consumer goods. :lol:

14. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Unlimited texts, data and wifi. 300 minutes.

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/simplicity/iphone/1_month

Thats on an iPhone simplcity plan, there are alternatives.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'm not calling you mental!

I'm just adding another perspective!

16. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

But you have a wife and a house, I live in a barn on my own with no g/f, I need the to go to the pub to meet people and I need to drink at home to get over the fact I still dont have a g/f:lol: Giving up smoking was suprisingly easy 10days now[:D], no sign of extra money though as a certain golf is running me dry!

17. Raider Forum Member

OK its month to month no contract reasonable minutes unlimited txts etc... but 495 then 20 month?:o

How does that compare to the deal you mentioned the 99 and 25p/m?

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Dont make me feel sorry for you. [:^(] :lol:

Excellent work giving up smoking though. :thumbup:

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Back in 2008 the price for an 8GB iPhone 3G on an 18 month contract at the 35 p/m contract rate was 99. The 16GB on the same contract was 200.

We took the 8GB phones at the time, but we are on the friends and family plan with O2, so we get 30% discount on the tariff. Makes all the difference.

Its all comparable though. You either pay for your phone up front in advance, then take your choice on a monthly basis, or pay for a contract, whereby the cost of the phone is subsidised in the monthly rental. You pay less up front, but in order to make back the cost of the phone, the network operators make you sign up for 18 or 24 months.

20. Raider Forum Member

And the Minutes/Messages/Data included etc are similar?