No point in performance mods for old cars

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by drew, May 21, 2004.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

Fair comment..my car is very close to the emissions limit too.. [:s]

Im in no doubt that a properly sorted mk2 could compete though...

We need to find someone with a 182 to do a few laps round Combe against IanB :clap:

2. jake Forum Member

tuning N/A cars is about old style engineering, tuning modern turbo cars is a map on a chip. A large generalisation I know but things like Oddballs posts with the components for his engine were a good example of shiny things I want to own. No one gets excited over a map very often.

3. b'locks Forum Addict

i think that most of the people on here with old cars, ie mk2s and mk3s, simply could not afford to buy a brand new car.

if i could afford it, i'd buy a newer and faster car than the one i've got, but i can't so i make the most of what i've got and i love it to bits because it's a great car at the end of the day and i'm very lucky to be the owner of it.

i also think that some people aren't quite being honest with themselves when they say they'd rather have a rattley old mk2 golf than a brand new sports car. the only reason u say that is because at the end of the day, like most people, you don't have the option of buying a brand new car that's worth having, ie; an expensive powerful beast.
    Edited by: b'locks

4. daveR Forum Member

To make that fair though you need to find a clio that has had the same amount/type of modifications though ;)

Then its not going to be a different story i suspect.

Who is IanB? Whats he drive?

5. prof Forum Addict

step out of the cave :lol:

Drew as ever has made a wise financial move with his mk1, now if it was metallic purple flip with 18" wheels it would be worth 1/10th of it's current value.

A perfect mk1campaign or mk216v is worth keeping standard, however for most of the other "average" cars out there I'm all for sensible mods.

making a mk4 faster is ridiculously easy now, compared to getting a few more horses from a mk2, on a mk4 500 notes for 50+bhp is great value, compared to the same money spent tuning NA. But for most on here mk4s are still a bit pricey

6. superden Forum Addict

I (if I wanted to) could afford a newer car than my `rattley` old Mk2 but I dont want one. Yes there are some modern cars that I like but my Mk2 represents affordable and potentially classic status motoring for very little money.

I like the performance and styling of my 16v and if I were to buy another car it would either be another Mk2 or something even older !

[:D]

7. daveR Forum Member

HERE HERE!!!

People are too quick to generalise "all new cars are sh1te" but they are just showing their ignorance to what is out there....

M3's have always been highly involving drivers cars
    Clio's too (new cups/182s, older williams1/2/3 etc)(people are going to think im sponsored by them soon! lol)
    mx5's (gay as they are...)
    all very good modern drivers cars, as involving as any mk1/mk2 without question

8. daveR Forum Member

Some hopefull thinking there superden?

Your mk2 a classic? There are soooooooo many mk2's in the world that you can hardly call them classics.
    Icons/Landmarks in motoring history maybe (which some could argue leads on to them being classics i suppose) but purely on numbers and the commoness of them your not going to have a classic unless its done 5000 miles and is like factory!

You say you could afford a new car if you chose to, but have you actually even opened your eyes to what is out there? Or is your head too far up your arse to see past all these "classic golfs"? :lol:

9. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

You have point there mofo, but i honestly have as big a grin blasting my 8v as i do when i drive the (not mine) S3 although i guess if i were wedged with cash i would probably buy an R32 (then sell it after a couple of months and buy another mk2 like i did after buying the mk3 vr :lol: )

10. superden Forum Addict

*rolls eyes* :lol:

I have a differing view to you ... so my head is `up my arse` ? [:s]

I didnt say my Golf was a classic. I said it was a potential classic ... read the text [:x] :lol:

Yes, I have looked at other more `modern` cars available but I can say in all honesty that I`m not interested. Why is it so hard for some people to understand that I really do like Mk2 Golfs and that no, I dont want something `a bit more modern` ...

[8-}]
    Edited by: superden

11. chrismc Forum Junkie

Ian Bartlett..one of the track day regulars..

His car is a mk2 16v with a 9A 2L bottom end, Schrick 268/276 cams, flowed inlet, 4 branch & Remus? exhaust..circa 200BHP at Stealth.

I would have thought the Clio would produce "similar" power with appropriate flowing/cam/exhaust mods etc given their already relatively high standard power output..

Would certainly be interesting to see.! My point is that Ian has a quick & road friendly club sport car for something less than 5K I would imagine..

12. b'locks Forum Addict

13. MrBen Forum Junkie

I think you miss the point - I put a decent exhaust and filter on my car to make it more enjoyable to drive - the same reason I changed the suspension. I really don't care what other people think of my car, and I'd never modify it to impress others, just in order to improve my driving enjoyment! I suspect the same is true of a lot of people on here.

14. vealige Forum Member

I prefer the older cars MK1, MK2. I wouldn't class the MK3 as an old car yet! [:$]

For me a nice looking mint MK1/MK2 would turn more heads and be more appreciated by the driver and most people then your brand new shiny MK5 etc.....

Also the rubbish that people can't afford new cars is a myth. There are so many finance/loan deals out there that almost any person on this forum could afford an R32 etc. Its up to you though if you want to have a loan etc.

Don't get me wrong i do love the R32 but on the mundane drive to work in the morning its just another familiar shape on the road that everyone is used to! ;) As for Power per 's well if i wanted a quick 200Bhp i would drop a 1.8T in the old MK2 as it would go better then a similar car with similar power! :lol: Plus it would still be cheaper then a quick new car! ;)

15. daveR Forum Member

Sounds like really nice car!

Does he use it everyday though? Personally thats where i draw the line, I couldnt use a 'track' car as a daily driver, I dont know why, maybe im too old and boring now!

Id like to have a car like Ians for fun/weekends/track and then something else as a daily (this is how I intend to be in a few years time).

Its all about comprimise and whats best for YOUR NEEDS.

I quite fancy a Leon Cupra R next, spacious, safe, new, fast, still fairly nice and tight to drive (they are a bit boaty on stock suspension), ok so it STILL another fast FWD hatch (which I want to get away from) but its the best comprimise for my requirements.

Den, im happy for you to have your older car and im glad you enjoy it. You just need to chill out a bit with shouting from the roofs about how its the best thing since sliced bread!

Im still not sure on your potential for classic status either ;) :lol:

16. Guests Banned

i spent 4500 on my mk2.....i could have easily bought a mk3 vr6 for that.
    i picked it coz i like it

mk4 20vt, pick one up for about 10500?

mk2
    1000 for car
    full respray 1500
    full interior leather 1500
    tt dash 1000
    mk4 20vt engine 4000
    Huge ICE tv's and dvd 2000

total 10000

now what would you rather.....magazine features, a car you made and no one else has.....or a estate agents car??

let me think [:s]

17. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Vote Den :clap:

18. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I probably will buy a new car later on but for daily commuting but i still wont sell my mk1. Ask any mk1 driver here, they are not cheap to keep on the road at all. True, some modern cars are good/involving to drive but its what makes you happy. A lot of people on this forum have spent a small fortune on their supposidly 'ratty' mk1's & 2's but they have done so because they are enthusiasts, not financially inclined to own an old car.

19. Guests Banned

the whole 'you bought a mk2 coz you couldnt affoard anything else' is total bulls1t

thats what a girl would say.....

20. b'locks Forum Addict

personally, i'm not talking about R32's. I could afford an R32 on finance, but tbh i don't think they're worth the money VW are asking for them. Same as I would never have paid the 22k asking price for my car when it was brand new. i mean, 22k? WTF??? but if i could afford say, a brand new M3 or something like that, then yeah i'd have one.