now you see it....

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by coupechamp, Aug 17, 2010.

1. danster Forum Addict

I cannot see it being that Chris. The other piston is only flush with the top of the block. This is what a std ADR 20v NA engine is like. 10.5 : 1 comp ratio.
    Do not see how that would make 210bhp on an 1.8 with that cr figure.
    Look at the extra valve cutouts for the other 2 inlet valves. It is running some lary cams too.
    It would need higher comp ratio to make this level of power I would have thought.
    The 2.0 capacity would raise the comp ratio up though due to larger swept volume. :thumbup:

2. coupechamp Forum Member

yep, still trying to get exact figures, but crank, bore, cams all changed. I dont know what a standard 1.8T block looks like as opposed to what we have here, and theres no markings on the cams, i should get them out tomorrow, get them measured. Just measured one of the spare pistons and it measures 82.5 and 49.5 top of crown to bottom. I dont have a spare rod as yet, but i will get one out the broke block. The pistons are from KOLBENCO, South Africa, although they look like they have seized trading!!

3. danster Forum Addict

82.5 bore and a 92.8mm stroke will be std 2.0 vag configuration.
    That is how the engine got it's compression then as the 20v head was normally on a 1.8.

Any letters on the front of the head next to the cambelt cover? There is a lug that sticks out the front that has markings on generally.

Maybe Nellis on here will have some knowledge on the SA connection too.

4. coupechamp Forum Member

the only lug at that point which i guess you could lift it with has PC 15 on it, this might not be the right one, but doesnt look like much more

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Doug, grab the engine code off it, here:

[​IMG]

Also the 06A casting number I can vaguely see on the back of the block.

6. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

piston lost its pin??
    very weird

7. coupechamp Forum Member

chris, had a look this morning and theres no markings on the block. Many moons ago in my slick 50 days i had a block from Dr Geoff at Automotive that had no numbers, and came straight from VW. Again don't know much about pistons and makers but have you ever heard of these guys. Bill by your comment..
    piston lost its pin??
    very weird
    whats likely cause, i know it's very hard to say, but it didnt look like a valve had dropped, unless they have just been wedged back up into place...nearly... Just wanting to know more for when a new one gets put back together, uprating etc that sort of thing.

8. coupechamp Forum Member

just pulled the cams out, typical, my ETKA is installing updates. Surprisingly they appear to be VAG cams, the inlet is marked 058 109 021 KSP as well as 078 109 115H which looks more like the part number, it also has painted on it 33.930. The exhaust cam has a mark but is not so easy to see, but i guess they would come from the same place anyway? but you never know with this thing. As soon as ETKA has finished i will see where there from.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Doug, the engine code stamp should also be here:

[​IMG]

Like this:

[​IMG]

10. coupechamp Forum Member

now the cams are out you can see the 1st letter...PC15. Just seen the cams are from a passat/A4/A6. Will you get the duration from ETKA. One number was for the cam the other for the drive gear.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Head code?

12. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

saw a supertech piston from a uk guy over on vortex the other week, also looked to have pulled the pin out of the piston.. that one also had scoring on the side of the pistons, so the thoughts buy a few were the rebore was incorrect clearance and it had nipped up, and tried to seize, and the pin got pulled out.. extreme carnage also.

13. coupechamp Forum Member

ouchhh Bill, was going to get the valves out today, but i have the wrong type of valve spring compressor (oh the good ole 8v days) so thought i would wip a rod and piston out, plus wanted to get some measurements for replacing etc. Had a close look at number 4 piston and found a crack. By the way the valves are actually still inplace in number 1 cylinder i've taken it (as Bill said also) that the crown was the cause, so just wondering if it started off like this crack!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was looking at sticking with the 20v head (not this one) and getting some better valves put in, is it worth going with the tripple slot? Also we have to keep the standard rods, so again wanted to beeth it up a bit in terms of crowns, any one got any feedback. Ideally want to finally change the cams and get boddies on there.... If i'm going to do it, i would like to at least have a bit of faith in the engine for
    2011. Thats about all thats left from the origional car as everything else has broke and been changed!!! Thats been a hard 4 seasons.....

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  14. danster Forum Addict

Who on earth modified those piston skirts? :o
    That looks like the skirts have been shortened and no nice chamfers put on the cut surfaces to help reduce the possibility of stress fractures and cracks propagating.

82.5mm bore suggests engine capacity has been increased to 1984cc, probably using the 92.8mm crank.
    A very rough calculation of CR based on the std 20v head chamber volume would put the new CR of the 2.0 engine at 11.5 : 1
    Pretty much the limit for std cast pistons before they start to fall apart.

15. coupechamp Forum Member

hhhmmmnnn, so as i thought i dont really want to chuck the spare pistons i have back in..... i dont want this to happen again. Still looking at new crowns, valves etc. Piece of mind. just went out and looked at the new (spare) crowns and they look just the same, all be it....shiny and new, but the cut out is the same the angles are the same...hhmmnnn again..

16. coupechamp Forum Member

Took a few measurements off the piston i took out, rod length is 144mm, 20mm pin, 82mm piston which is 49.5 deep. Big end 50.5mm, small end 23mm.

17. danster Forum Addict

In the future, if anyone requires pistons or conrods to be lightened, feel free to send them up to me as I have an assistant that is fairly useful at this. :thumbup:
    He can gnaw them down to any weight or style you require. This is accomplished by soaking the piston rod combo in gravy for an hour befor giving it too him. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

He particularly likes to chew these 16v ones to bits though. Not entirely sure where he got that from though. ;)

18. coupechamp Forum Member

me again, can anyone tell me what the duration of these cams are, as above, part number 058109021. When i get them on ETKA it doesnt seem to say, am i missing something, or is there somewhere else i could look. Also does anyone have any knowledge of J.E Pistons, they look the part and seem well suited to motorsport, cheers all.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Perhaps he's irritated by a particular 16v success at Kames earlier this Summer, and seeing trophies disappear for good south of the Border? :lol:

That certainly would have irked my cat (RIP) into a day of prime awkwardness, not eating, following by a spot of curtain climbing...

[​IMG]

... particularly when a perfectly good electric green machine could have poossibly saved the trophy ;)

20. coupechamp Forum Member

does he do flywheels!!!:lol: