now you see it....

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by coupechamp, Aug 17, 2010.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Block & head codes first please ;) [:D]

2. danster Forum Addict

There is a chance your cams are re-profiled.
    Can you measure the base circle of the cams and lift too.
    BC is measured across the round bit of the cam lobe, and lift is measured from the point of the cam lobe too the base.
    You will need a vernier for these dimensions, they may be around 34mm for base circle and 11mm for lift.

3. danster Forum Addict

Chris, get you specs on FFS!

[​IMG]

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

5. coupechamp Forum Member

just had another look to make certain, but the only head markings are the part number 058103373A and the pc15 making on the lug where you said chris, as for the block, again nothing, the place where the number normally is is blank, not painted, not rubbed off just blank. I also don't have a vernier so cant get that measurement. Cat Cams can get the measurement, and there is that possibility of them being re-profiled for the origional series, but drew a blank with VWR South Africa as to engine spec when i was having all the grief with the other one!! Oh it will be good to get my own lump in......
    Danny did you get my reply yesterday.....TB's?

6. danster Forum Addict

7. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Its near impossible to see the p/n on the block, I failed to makeout/see mine on a block piece I had cleaned, and in my hand.

8. danster Forum Addict

We have the block casting number now. 06 021 C as far as I can see from the above pic. And from tequila land too!

I am thinking that it may actually be a 2.0 engine as standard (ALT). Cannot see them stripping down 1.8 engines, reboring and throwing away the cranks to fit 2.0 ones. Or it is just a 86.4mm stroke and an overbore to 82.5 which will increase compression ratio.
    210 bhp at 6000rpm is interesting to say the least.
    You really need to get the stroke up here to confirm either way.

9. coupechamp Forum Member

ok, the stroke is 94mm. Took measurement from B.D.C to T.D.C. these pistons at TDC sit 2mm above the block, so 92 + the 2mm is how i got that answer...think thats right.

10. danster Forum Addict

I just put your figures to the engineering department and they calculate the stroke to be 92mm which sounds like the std 2.0. 92.8 to be precise.
    [​IMG]

This info means I am thinking these were originally 2.0 engines to start with.

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That pc15 is an odd code, nothing VW-ish.

Ths engine strikes me as a special build or an engine we're not used to seeing in the UK. It's a South African car isn't it?

12. coupechamp Forum Member

correct Chris, it was a South African car. Very hard to find out info on the car, the origional series etc. Even finding pics is tough going. Let alone engine details [:s]

13. coupechamp Forum Member

i was looking at uprating the valves and on the Rosten site they had the triple groove valves, which i thought might be a good place to start, then today i pulled these out....triple groove already. So maybe leave alone, it would certainly save a good few pounds that could go elsewhere. I read on here about 20v issues dropping valves, but you must need to be going some to do it with these, or are they not standard!! They appear to be standard size.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure for what i want to do that these would be ok, what do you think?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  14. coupechamp Forum Member

Was sitting here thinking about codes and thought i always called it an AGU engine. So pulled the spare out of the corner and saw that the AGU code is on the lug, unlike the one that just broke.
    [​IMG]

But there is still no sign of a block number and on the spare it's actually painted again unlike the broke one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

out of interest the crank had a number on it, can anything be worked out from this, just looking at ETKA at the moment. 6AAJ
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also a question popped up, Danny mentioned a rough geustamate of comp ratio at 11:5:1 and standard ADR 20v being 10:5:1. Looking at replacement pistons for this motor and bearing in mind i want to swap cams and go TB's would it be wise to stay with the same piston figures i have now, as JP Pistons do them but with different C/R, 8:5:1 and 9:25:1. what do i need to know...............heeeeelllppppppp [:s]

15. danster Forum Addict

My comp ratio calculation was just a very rough guesstimate based on the different bore and stroke size of your engine compared to the std 1.8 ADR with flat top pistons. It would really need to be accurately checked.

AGU is a 1.8t turbo code and probably had 8.5 : 1 comp ratio as std. Turbo engines have a low comp ratio compared to NA engines, generally that is. Your spare engine may have an AGU head on it but what is inside will determine the comp ratio.
    You base comp ratio on the cam duration to a certain extent so need these figures too. For a race NA engine you will be looking for 11.5 : 1 minimum and maybe more depending on fuel allowed and other variables.

16. coupechamp Forum Member

ok makes sense, was looking at the cams beeing measured and was speaking to QEP, who said they would measure them, but they will send them to Belgium...to catcams. I took a measurement, i think it was you earlier who said about it, so this is what we have, can again something be worked out from this? intlet cam has a lobe dia of 36mm and from tip to bottom of lobe (height) was 45.8mm exhaust cam: same dia 36mm but top to bottom was now 47mm Bearing in mind my measuring device is'nt digital so there could be a .2 on the 36 :lol:

17. danster Forum Addict

Is your spare engine a modified unit too?

Be very careful buying anything until you are 100% sure what you need. eg you cannot just buy 82.5mm pistons for an 1.8t engine if your engine is using a 92.8mm stroke. They will have different compression heights to compensate for the differing strokes.
    1.8t engines also have a 19mm gudgeon pin in some engines too, compared to the 20 and 21mm in other engines.
    I was thinking about this the other day and wondered if your pistons were not modded 16v 9A or 6A ones as they have the extra 2 valve cutouts and would be the correct bore size and compression height if your engine has a 92.8mm stroke crank.
    You are going to need a new block before you buy pistons though!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  18. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

3 grooved valves are std

19. turbotommy Forum Member

AGU has 9.0:1 comp and 19mm G/pins

20. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

20mm pins