Please help my G60.still not right - UPDATE VIDS PAGE 5

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Riley, Sep 4, 2005.

1. octane Forum Junkie

Riley, how driveable is it? can you get it to me? i'm guessing probably not.
    i would spend abit of time on it this week.
    its sometimes best others look at the problem..
    Most of the suggestions he's given you can be checked with a compression check, quick and easy there.
    the crank pully can be quickly checked too.
    Edited by: Jettas

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I know feck all about G60's so I'm guessing a bit here. You're always really helpful when other people want advice, so I thought I'd add my 2p worth.

Not revving properly sounds like maybe fuel starvation (unlikely with lots of smoke and no oil loss - if there was no fuel, then there'd be nothing to make smoke out of) or badly retarded timing. I'm a bit suspicious of your dizzy position at TDC too, but that could just be compensating if the intermediate shaft is slightly out of position.

If it was my motor, I'd slacken off the dizzy, start the car, and move the dizzy round a few degrees at a time to see if it runs any smoother. You might get a couple of little shocks off the HT leads, but it won't kill you unless you've got a pacemaker. You can always switch it off between tries.

The ECU on a digi does adjust the timing a bit, but it only retards it (I think) according to feedback from the knock sensor. I think if it's very retarded to start with, then the ECU won't compensate enough.

If you can get your hands on a timing light, then that's ideal, but if it's badly out, you'll make it a lot better just by listening to it, and adjusting a wee bit at a time. Back it off if you think it's pinking.

If that doesn't work, the only other easy thing I can think of, is maybe the air filter is badly blocked. Take it out and see if it helps...especially if the plugs are really black. Personally I'd check the timing first though.

Don't let it get to you, mate. You've built enough motors to get through this!!

3. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

i had a listen to that video clip, not sounding too good fella!

could be a sticky valve?!

as jetta said, do a compression test

4. stevef Forum Member

How about bent valve or pumped up hyraulic tappet?

As above I think a compression check next!

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

thanks mike. :)

sorry guys,you may notice i havent been on here posting/helping others much lately.

ive had a really rough couple of weeks.

heres where i carried on over on rado.net.

theres a lot of drivel and shit but theres still a few questions un answered.

basically a m8 of my dads has re seated the valves and skimmed the head,the inlet valves were not seating properly,he is pretty sure that would be my problem.

but i dunno,ive no confidence in anything or any one at the minute.

neil.

6. stevef Forum Member

Hope the head work gets it fixed. My nephew's Rover 600 Turbo sounded a bit like that following a cam belt failure!

If you need any help let me know be it timing light, compression gauge or just a second opinion. As I said before, I enjoy a problem to solve and DO NOT expect anything in return save advice if I ever find myself in a similar situation.

Steve Fullard

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Riley, there`s been a few ocasions where the valve stems have been too long after a valve seat cut (if they`ve been re-cut?), causing the valves not to close properly, maybe an ide to measure the stem heights in the head if you can?

Hope it goes ok for you mate!

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

thanks guys,appreciate it. :)

keith,really? [8(]

the valves have just been reground in with the ol' grinding paste.

im gonna get the head back on,and see what happens.

couple of guys on the rado forum are thinking it may? be the map sensor...

neil.

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

If it`s just a grinding paste job you`ll be ok, but if they`ve been re-cut before it could be a problem, only happened to very few people mind.

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

thanks keith. :)

the head is back on,i fitted new stem seals too.

the inlet/exhaust manifolds are on,cambelt and tensioner on/new exhaust manifold studs/nuts,and camshaft oil seal.

tommorow ill get the wiring/fuel rail/pipes/synta silva/g12+ and power steering/water pump pullies sorted.

just need to double check the cam timing and tighten everything up too.

i hope to god it sorts it. [8(]

neil.

11. Kingsley Forum Member

i thought that the cam timing marks on a digifant shoult point to twelve oclock??? this would cause ur probs if they r lined up with the rocker markers as suggested in the book of lies..

12. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

You thought wrong.

13. Kingsley Forum Member

yeh well i 4got u knew every thing mr gimp...

i recall when i did mine ages ago when the marks went to the rocker it was non responsive and flat.. It was then pointed out to me by a vag mechanic there is an arrow marker on the plastic trim above the cam pulley and this is where it should have been timed to... although i appreciate g60's arent the same.
    Edited by: Kingsley

14. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

That's OK, just don't forget again.

15. Kingsley Forum Member

i just edited it... as i realize riley's is a g60 and i dont know what setup they share with digi mk2 golfs

16. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Well stop forgetting before you post "helpful" posts, then.

17. Kingsley Forum Member

settle pettle! rag week is it... hmmmmm hehe

18. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

it fired up straight away.

still the same.

my dads booked it in for a diagnostic check at vw.

edit:will be up for sale as soon as its sorted.
    as it is with the wheels etc.

and sorry,i dont want a px on another vw,had a couple of offers.

gonna get something new and reliable.
    Edited by: riley

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Riley, double check you have a very good thick earth to the engine (same guage as starter feed), then try another ecu, or let somneone try yours. When I forgot to fit the map pipe to mine (after having the ECU out of the car) it felt really flat and wouldn`t rev over 3k. I think MAP sensor failure is the place to look.

Only think to go wrong on them is the charger, which you`ve rebuilt, with another ecu on it should be good as new. Don`t sell it mate, you`ve put a lot of work into it and the charger should be good for 40k miles at least, just enjoy it [:D]

There are loads of problems reported, but most of the time it comes down to bad grounding, crusty connectors which is to be expected on a 15yo car.
    Edited by: KeithMac

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hi Riley. Any luck yet? Have you had a timing light on the engine to check the ignition timing? Worth swapping the dizzy out if you've got a spare, even. Is the G60 dizzy the same as the normal Digi one?

It's a pain changing the head and not getting the right result, but the reseated valves will make it run better for longer, so it's not a waste of time.