Starting my car

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by emery1990, Feb 20, 2011.

1. emery1990 Forum Member

My cars ready to start...

Should my car turn over with the fuel pump wire disconnected?

Why is the positive on my battery smoking?

And can you see the spark on the spark plug in day light, or is it too small too see? As I checked for spark with one of my plugs out but nothing.

It turns over so isnt ceased and all the rest of my electrics work after 5 months :)

When key is in the ignition should the ecu light up or anything? Or do I need to set it's port? on my laptop first.

2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Eeerrrrrm [xx(]

I'd start here with with any changes!

3. emery1990 Forum Member

Aint smoking no more.

Got to recheck my wiring to the dizzy though as it makes an awful clicking sound.

4. emery1990 Forum Member

Is this how my dizzy would be.

3 pins:
    pin 1 - = brown/white
    pin 2 0 = grey/green
    pin 3 + = red/black

If so it says take tach signal to -, but then doesnt show it being earthed?

It doesnt show it going through a hall sender just the tach signal going to the - on the dizzy. How does that work ?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Tach signal MS pin 24 to dizzy 0
    TPS ref 5v to dizzy +
    Earth on MS pin 7 to dizzy -

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Surely a smoking battery terminal is a sign of a short which could have damaged wiring or the ECU?

7. emery1990 Forum Member

Knowing my luck it probably has lol

Toyotech, thanks thats make sense now, how come your the only one whos said to take tps ref to the dizzy, thats how I was wired up in the first place as you said but a few people said to take it too the tps sensor as the diagram says, or does it go to both. ?

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

smoking battery terminal usually means you have a bad connection to the starter, so clean up all the battery, starter and alt wires. especially the gearbox one as they can get pretty bad. if its a mk1 or early mk2 the battery -ve goes to the gearbox upper bracket, which is a poor place to earth as starter current has to go theru gearbox, then bracket, then earth. since box is alloy and bracket is steel this makes things worse as the cars get older due to the different metals reacting to each other.

later mk2 switched the earth to a stud on the rear gearbox -> engine mounting bolt, which is a much better place to earth. so i recommend you do the same :thumbup:

i also use MK3 golf battery cables as they're chunker and have a much better battery clamp design. trouble is earth one doesnt reach the stud on the battery tray, so you need to make up a short length of chunky wire to bridge the gap. if you're lucky and find a B4 passat in scrappy, some of those have a -ve lead that is a direct fit to the MK2 and uses the same battery connections as the MK3 golf.

9. emery1990 Forum Member

That would make sense as it's been sitting for a long time so is probably very dirty anyway!

Yer that does sound like a crappy design, I'll get on it.

If it did short my ecu wasnt connected anyway as the relay was all wrong!.

Cheers jonny

10. emery1990 Forum Member

Still not firing up, just making the same fast clicking noise. fuel pump primes when fuel pump wires connected, it does when it's disconnected, so ecu must be getting a feed.

Why's it just clicking, then does nothing, then trys to turn over then clicks, could it be an open vacuum? or would it just turn and turn over and never start if it was a vacuum issue.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  11. mk2abf Forum Member

the battery sounds dead?

12. emery1990 Forum Member

Yer think it is mate, it does work though, just looses charge quite quick.

Reason for not starting, red lead has somehow come off my starter motor! And the hole on the mani I had open, it needs to be blocked off! So kno reason it should start now! apart from the rain :thumbd:

13. emery1990 Forum Member

New battery, stays on charge now though. Was checking the workings of the tci- h switch unti and hall sender. With the hall sender switch unplugged, putting my connectors on the + - of the bit where it plugs into ( is this the coil ) and didnt get the 2v for 2 secs then 0v as required, said I need a new tci-h switch unit and coil. I bought s5 ( blue spare wire) I think it was too the tci-h switch unit. Also the ecu vacuum, does that go from a separate vacuum that the servo one? Presuming it's all the same, it on one of the connectors on that black and yellow fitting.

14. emery1990 Forum Member

[​IMG]

Are these terminals what I would test to see if my coil is ok ? The 2v for a bit then drop to 0v. As when connectors are on the + and - there is no drop, which indicates a new coil and tci-h unit is needed.

15. rubjonny

yeah thats not right :lol:
    you need a new dizzy or hall sender, it should look like this:
    [​IMG]

16. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

MS pin 36 or 'S5' from the RSA loom, is connected to pin 6 on the TCI-h unit.
    [​IMG]
    This triggers the TCI-h to earth the primary circuit in the coil.
    ECU mpa sensor line can to source manifold pressure from the servo line.

You dizzy is missing the plastic connector that surrounds the hall pins?

17. emery1990 Forum Member

I'll check the s5 again to see if it's in the right place. may of counted the wrong way and not seeing the numbers!

Yer I took that off lol Took it off so I knew I was touching the right parts. And ok got the vacuum hose there already.

Think it will be the s5 wire. No It's in the right place. It isnt the ecu as thats been tested and I have shorted anywhere either. So has to be the hall sender or dizzy.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  18. mk2abf Forum Member

your inbox is full mate !

19. emery1990 Forum Member

Right, in that pic, those pins are the hall sender pins yes. I need to connect my voltmeter to the + and - of the igntion coil, but where is this as I cant see any other terminals. Got to see whether theres 2v then 0v after a few seconds, with the hall sender plug disconnected. Then if theres no then my ignition coil is broke.

20. rubjonny

look at the coil and note it has a load of spade wires, the black ones are the +ve, red/black and/or green are -ve