Starting my car

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by emery1990, Feb 20, 2011.

1. emery1990 Forum Member

This is what I've been told to do and probably the reason for my timing to be out so much! Didnt know it was 2:1 ratio [:$]

Nah I haven't undone anything, apart from the cam belt tensioner, just need to make a tool to tension it again !

2. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

you don't need a tool if you are strong enough :lol:

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all you need is 1 allen key. put your 15mm socket on the nut, then put the short end of the allen key in one of the tensioner hole. brace the long end to the socket, and push down till required tension is achieved. nip nut up, done! turn engine round 360 degrees on the cam (twice that on the crank :p) then recheck tension, adjust as required

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Did you not check timing marks were aligned before fitting timing belt? Hope there's been no valve to piston contact.

5. mk2abf Forum Member

He said he has not touched the belt/timing . Has has anyone else done work on your engine ?

6. emery1990 Forum Member

It may have been me being a newbie too cars. As before I put on my new coil. I turned my engine once too see if it was seized. But now I know I should of turned it twice, hence why it's 180 degrees out.

But it it is 100% a tooth or 2 out though as the cam sprocket doesnt line up with the rocker cover anyway, when two cam markings are spot on ( just 180 degrees out), so will have to sort that out anyway.

Bit embarrassed now lol

7. emery1990 Forum Member

Timings sorted now, spot on. Before I try again, someone rekons it's an electrical issue with my ms. I have checked it and the only issue I may have iare the earth's. Heres some pictures.

Pic 1 Ecu relay with 12v permanent, igntion wire , earth and it's feeding the injectors and ms ecu.
    [​IMG]

Pic2 - Fuel pump wire to fuel pump relay earth trigger wire.
    [​IMG]

Pic 3- which out of everything could be the issue, the earths
    [​IMG]

I did ask about everything I have done before doing it.

8. mk2abf Forum Member

on the earths on all of my ms installs i put them all into one ...solder all together and put one one ring connector on and attach to cyl head (never had any issues) i am sure phill from extra efi dose it the same way!

cant realy see any issues with the earthing but dont know about the +ve etc

tommy

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Er...
    There are 5 long wires on the RSA loom that should be paired with the sensors. The other short ones can be grouped together and sent direct to battery earth via a 2-3mm wire.

That is what I would suggest.

10. Admin Guest

The bracket that you have mounted the earths to does not look like it has been sanded to remove any oxide - this would have an impact on the continuety of the earths conections.

11. emery1990 Forum Member

OK thanks, I didn't do it just by thinking that it goes like that I got confirmation first like everything I've done.

Probably got muddled up though! What I done was, all the short wires you see, are on the left. I Soldered longer wires to each of them to bring them to where they are now, then the ecu sensor wire I took to the right and bought all my other sensor grounds to the same point.

I was going to group the short ones together, but didnt as someone told me not to and take them individually to ground. I have like 4 short wires which I trimmed back as thought I had finished, and I said I had left over grounds. Looking at the wiring diagram now, it has 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 which I think are the short wires? Then pin 19 which is ecu sensor ground. So that doesn't even show more grounds either. But I have 18,17,16,15 connecting to nothing

On positive side, all I've done is get a permanent 12v an ignition wire and took it too a relay, then took feeds to ms ecu and injectors. And cant see any issues with them either.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  12. emery1990 Forum Member

Too cut to the chase heres my rsa plug [​IMG]

The 4 wires I'm holding were not on the wiring diagram and havn't been told to do anything with them.

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

hmm. I dont lik the look of all those crimps. You can create high resistances between all the connections. I would solder too and connect to one larger wire.

14. Tomo IOW Forum Member

i put all my earths to an electrical earthing terminal found in house hold wiring circuits, then run a larger core earth straight to engine block

15. emery1990 Forum Member

OK thanks, I'll sort that out tomorrow, I did notice at the time there was a thicker black wire, but thought I was doing it right ! Anything I should do with them 4 wire's I'm holding? Edit, I'll take them to sensor earth and move The other thick wire to - battery.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2011
  16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Those 4 wires are earths too. They should be joined IMO. Don't like the look of all that red tape. Hopefully you have soldered the wires under that. Invest in some heatshrink. It won't come undone an cause shorts either.

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

18. emery1990 Forum Member

Thanks, yer I've soldered all my joints. I'll get some of that wrap around heatshrink.

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Usually you would have to desolder the joint to put the heat shrink on.

20. emery1990 Forum Member

I've just done the adjustments, looked over once again for any wires touching etc, and nothing, turned over and nothing, just when I turn it off it back fires, then heard a loud bang, which is obviously my coil going. But cannot see a short anywhere :thumbd: And when I took my spark plug out there was a spark but didnt seem very big ( checked and I've got 12.21 v when coil + and Battery + are connected through my meter). Checked for fuel from injectors and I'm getting fuel, it spits out instead of a spray. Could I have my injectors in the wrong order, I did have the order of how they should go onto the plug. I've gone ( from the left) live inj 1 inj 2 inj1 inj 2.

Erm it should be 1,2,2,1 shouldnt it ?

Could a shortage anywhere in the car cause to blow up the coil.? Should I get an autoelectricain to go over my car to see if he can find a shorted wire. He'll prob just say the wirings bad and could be anywhere.

Should I do a compression test on it. I rekon my compression is too low too start my car. Got fuel (checked earlier), got spark (checked just then) timings all set up, last thing for car not starting is compression right.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011