Whats The Fastest Car You Kept Up With???

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by g60gerry, Feb 24, 2007.

1. thegolfman Forum Member

What is the book spec of a r5gtt?

2. Seraph Banned

take it youve not heard of power to weight ratio?

a r5 turbo will run rings round a mk2 ALL day long

maybe your opponent wasnt actually trying to beat!......

3. Rocket_ronnie Forum Member

i think most r5 gtt owners dont give them to much beans because there scared they might blow up :lol:

4. bluebadger Forum Member

thats cos they will blow up :lol:

i did a lambo muchialgo once....but then i was also in a muchialgo and it was on track and the instructor guy kept shouting at me to go faster

5. funkbaron Forum Junkie

Some people do like to talk cack...

I had a R5 GTT back in 1998, book spec is 7.3 0-60, top end 125mph, 140bhp - they're 1.4, not 1.3, and they have the small matter of a turbo....not the most reliable or well built car in the world, and most have been chavved beyond recognition these days, but it'd blast stock mk2's into the weeds, sorry.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

hence, the one i was lined up with at pod must have started in 2nd gear [:D] right on!

7. ViCk Forum Member

I had a play with a mint E30 M3 in the Mk1 20vt (with two passengers) a little while back. I couldnt keep up around the bends because I was wheel spinning everywhere lol. His car did handle brilliantly tho.

Once we got onto the carriage way we lined up and the Mk1 spanked him.

He gave me the thumbs up and went about our ways. Not the wisest thing to do, but all good in small doses.

8. Seraph Banned

perhaps he'd stop trying by then?, if he ever was at all.

9. ViCk Forum Member

LoL, how original of YOU to say that ;)

10. Seraph Banned

indeed, and how very true it is too.

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

bad experiance in the past or something? seems really personal to you lol

not dabbled with any e30 m3s, but cant imagine theyre silly silly fast, id expect a 20vt mk1 to be able to out drag one though

12. ViCk Forum Member

Exactly !

I've driven a fair few M3's so I think I'm viable to judge whether I think a Mk1 20vt is quicker than one or not.

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

the E30 was 2.2 or 2.3 4cyl 16v with about 200bhp (upto 230 for the last evolution models)

theyll weigh in the region of 1100kg.

the mk golf, as a safe round figure would be 950kg.

whats the power also? i get the impression that the golf would have no problem getting away from an e30 m3 in a straight line

14. ViCk Forum Member

I'd guess at around 220 bhp at that time, with around 230 lbft.

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

hence, id really expect the mk120vt to walk away from the M3.

there was a nice silver one at pol the other week. porsche rims, red leather interior, lots of engine work, wheelspin up the track in 3rd, matching supras down the quarter mile (i presume that at pod they would definately be trying tho)

16. ViCk Forum Member

Considering the light weight Mk1 with around 250 lbft is serious power for car that light. This is with a K03s / K04, but many people run far bigger turbos !

Don't be surprised when cars like that out drag much superior machinery.

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

yeah, i saw them giving supras a really hard time lol he had some form of boost control that meant when it got into 3rd it went to higher boost... and then started snaking up the track [:D]

18. prof Forum Addict

my 220bhp was compreshensively blown into the weeds by a maxxxed corsa on the way to tescos, i was so impressed at his ability to travel over the speed limit in a built up area, he must have had balls like watermelons

19. Seraph Banned

oh!, you mean me

No, nothing personal at all, maybe because i appreciate that 'beating' another car on the public road has little to do with the cars ability

Just perplexed at the continual boll@x people spout about how they 'had a play' with this that and the other, and their need to support their ego with the use of an apparently 'fast' car.

Whether you can judge a cars power has nothing to do with whether you'll beat it on a public road, only unless its a pre-arranged contest might it be plausible.

You may not imagine that an m3 is not silly fast, but then neither would you know whether it was highly moddifed or not.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  20. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

but we will never know that unless the owner is a poster on here etc but given the information we know so far (it was an M3, nothing much else mentioned about the car) it would appear to be a standard car, no v8 or straight 6 soundtrack, no flames, no turbos spooling up, no dump valves.

the guy was just saying, he had a bit of a chase with an E30 and his mk1 20vt walked away from the E30, which is plausible given the info.

it didnt come across to me that he was bragging for cool points etc usually when that happens is someone with [insert relatively normal car here] who can hammer into dust anything this side of a Porsche GT2. its the insane claims that are the best, and they are usually followed by "ive got 280bhp under the lid too" and when you look its a VR without a blower in sight

not everyone is looking to 'big themselves up' when they post about a chase they had.

does it make you feel threatened and is that why you get so shirty? lolyou take it too seriously man, its teh net!